Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment issue with Koni/Strano setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment issue with Koni/Strano setup

I have an alignment issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with using Koni shocks and Strano springs.
Fortunately this is not my DD, so it's not an immediate problem. But I've noticed that when I get above +-40mph, and especially when cruising around 75, I get a strong pull to the left. I brought the car in to an alignment shop, but they said that they cannot adjust the front end anymore as it is at the limit of the adjusting point connecting the lower A-arm to the K-member. Without buying adjustable A-arms and or a new K-member, does anyone have a solution to this that has had this problem? Thanks!

Side note, the car only has 27,xxx miles on it, never touched a curb, and has exact same adjustments on the left and right side.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I would have asked the alignment shop what the spec was, that could tell us a lot more. If all is the same, all you have done is lower the car. The shock has no bearing on the alignment. So, the only change you would see from lowering is an increase in negative chamber and possibly toe. The toe is adjustable no matter what.

Maybe try a different alignment shop, but ask for the specs next time.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I would have asked the alignment shop what the spec was, that could tell us a lot more. If all is the same, all you have done is lower the car. The shock has no bearing on the alignment. So, the only change you would see from lowering is an increase in negative chamber and possibly toe. The toe is adjustable no matter what.

Maybe try a different alignment shop, but ask for the specs next time.
I agree.

Back when my '96 Z/28 was new, I installed a set of the Eibach pro-kit lowering springs. Anticipating the need for additional adjustability of the lower a-arm, I lengthened the slot the a-arm bolts pass through, by about 3/16" on each side of the car. As it turned out, I didn't need to do that, as there was enough travel in the slots as-is.

There seems to be a serious lack of knowledge for the 4th gen cars, with respect to alignment, as there have been NUMEROUS posts here, about shops that claim they can't get the cars aligned. It isn't rocket science, for God's sake, it's two ^&^%$$ bolts, to set the camber/caster!!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_LPE_SS
I have an alignment issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with using Koni shocks and Strano springs.
Fortunately this is not my DD, so it's not an immediate problem. But I've noticed that when I get above +-40mph, and especially when cruising around 75, I get a strong pull to the left. I brought the car in to an alignment shop, but they said that they cannot adjust the front end anymore as it is at the limit of the adjusting point connecting the lower A-arm to the K-member. Without buying adjustable A-arms and or a new K-member, does anyone have a solution to this that has had this problem? Thanks!

Side note, the car only has 27,xxx miles on it, never touched a curb, and has exact same adjustments on the left and right side.
Without knowing the current alignment specs it is hard for us to really give too much advice other than getting the alignment specs or taking it to another alignment shop.

The problem is that the alignment settings you currently have may be fine and you just may be dealing with an uneducated alignment shop. Or they could be correct but without knowing what the alignment specs were we are all just left guessing.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't feel bad, I had my car with -1.25 camber before lowing on Strano springs then went back for a new alignment. Car came in with -2.5 camber just due to lowering....Tech comes back to me 1.5hrs later and says the best I can get it -.75...In my head I went WTF?

So I politely told him "OK but it came in with -2.5 of camber..." So he went back at it and got the specs I was requesting which was only -1.5 to -1.75 camber, 0 to 1/32" toe out and max castor.

Look for a competent alignment shop. Luckily I have a consistent FTD autocross driver that owns 3 Fbodies and runs a Tire Discounters. My next alignment will be done by him for next season.

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-12-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Like the others have said we are kind of blind here not knowing what the car had or now has for numbers. And you could have a bushing issue or a tie rod issue too. Even trashed wheel bearings allow the angle of the tire to move around. We really don't know.

But yes, there are a lot of shops that aren't very good.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Alignment issue with Koni/Strano setup