Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2001 Camaro SS Ssteering has a "catch" in it when turning the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Camaro SS Ssteering has a "catch" in it when turning the wheel

Ok, so I recently did a motor swap on my 2001 Camaro, and now when I turn the steering wheel it has a "catch" it it. It's like it's binding up and then releases, then binds up, then releases while you're turning the wheels lock to lock. I've attempted adjusting the steering linkage that connects the column to the rack several times to see if I had it down to far or up to far on the steering column shaft. It almost seems like one of the u-joints is binding up in the steering linkage. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that?

This is an LS1 car, so now rag joint in the linkage. It feels like something mechanical binding up for sure. I didn't disconnect the power steering lines, so I don't think there is air in the power steering pump.

Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Steering shaft dragging a header tube? Seen that happen before, especially with stock motor mounts.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Steering shaft dragging a header tube? Seen that happen before, especially with stock motor mounts.
Don't believe so. I think I checked that, but I'll look again to be sure. I have aftermarket poly mounts now and new TSP 1-7/8s longtubes. Thanks for offering advice Sam. If I ever get around to suspension on this thing I'll be in touch. Lord knows it needs it.

Would it put the suspension in a bind at all if I torqued the shock tower bolts down while the suspension was unloaded? I read something on another site that mentioned that. Didn't make much sense to me, but I figured I'd ask.

I know my ball joints, etc are pretty shot, but I would think they would have bound up before if that's all it was.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

But when does it happen. I had it happen on my car only when pretty hard on the gas and with a little steering in. Any other time the engine didn't move up enough to contact and the steering shaft was turns so as not to hit. This was with 1.75" headers too.

I still think this might be it because in your response you say "new" headers.

And fwiw, I do more than suspension.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Gotcha, ill check it out then for sure today if I get home before dark. Ill follow up and tell whether that's what is causing it. Any fix at all for it, or do you just havd to deal with it?

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro SS Ssteering has a "catch" in it when turning the wheel