Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring help please.

Hi everyone,
I am looking to lower my 2002 camaro, I'm a little new at the suspension part. I want to lower my car about 2 inches. I see everyone on here talking about Strano springs and how good they are but they only go around 1.25 to 1.5 inches. I dont want to go with Eibach because I hear too many bad things about them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm looking for? Also I want to upgrade the shocks. From what I hear Koni's are the way to go. I just want to know if its worth getting the dual adjustable or if I should just go with the normal ones?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Or should I just go with strano springs
Old 11-20-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would contact sam strano, mwc or bmr.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Istrat
Hi everyone,
I am looking to lower my 2002 camaro, I'm a little new at the suspension part. I want to lower my car about 2 inches. I see everyone on here talking about Strano springs and how good they are but they only go around 1.25 to 1.5 inches. I dont want to go with Eibach because I hear too many bad things about them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm looking for? Also I want to upgrade the shocks. From what I hear Koni's are the way to go. I just want to know if its worth getting the dual adjustable or if I should just go with the normal ones?

Thanks in advance for the help.
What shock and spring package depends on what you do with your car. Give us a little info on what your car's purpose to you is supposed be and we can help you out with the right options. Feel free to call us or email with any questions.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

For all around driveability, comfort and handling, our springs with Koni Yellows are a hard combination to beat. However, they are a 1.25" drop.

If you are looking to go lower, a full Viking coilover setup may be the way to go. We offer several spring rates to match your driving style and give the performance you are looking for, while allowing you to custom tailor your ride height. They are double adjustable shock valving as well to provide a wide range of settings from loose, and soft (good for ride quality and drag racing) to stiff (for handling).

Give us a call and we will be glad to put together a package price for you. We offer the LOWEST price on Vikings anywhere
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Teching In

I'm looking to get into autocross with the car. About how much do coil overs cost?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Coil-over setups can go from Mild to Wild... cost depends on brand, and there are several different ones to choose from depending on your budget. Were you looking to do a 4 corner coil-over conversion for fully adjustable ride height?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Yes I would do all 4.
Thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Sorry I can't call right now to get all this info. I'm at work right now and don't get off till everyone is normally closed
Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Your best bet would be to go with the Afco or Viking coil-over system then. I have a lot of experience with both of them and have setup shocks on plenty of auto cross cars through the years. PM me your number and availability time and I will call you.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Let's back up for a minute or two.

I'm here usually until about 7pm eastern time, are you off work by then? I am an autocrosser, and I know all the rules if you are running with a club that really has any. Some do, some don't. But you can't just buy anything like a "coil-over kit" and be good to go anywhere (it's also a LOT more complicated than that). And the shocks are critical for a car that is to handle too.

My springs we derived from setups I used to win multiple SCCA National Championships and then I put the knowledge into a a set of springs for the street. FWIW, I drove on those rates all the time and live in a place where winters ravage the roads (western PA). My springs are NOT ballistically stiff because the car has to be driveable.

My springs are not cheaply made by companies you don't know. And I've never done an about face on my spring design and changed them to be more like someone else's. Though others have done that with theirs to be more like mine, though not made by a high end company with high end materials like mine.

I have a LOT of options, more than you can imagine. And not just with my springs, but with other brands too (should you want that for some reason) and with full coil-overs from at least 4 different companies (though I'd only consider two of those four myself).

In short, trust me when I tell you that we should talk. I'm more specialized in corner carving than drag racing. I can help you avoid pitfalls of mods that might not work they way you need, or screw up your ability to be competitive when you go. And I make sure my stuff is driveable as well. Both on the street, but also at the limit because I also teach driving schools and see what happens when folks have cars setup way to edgy. It's not good.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Spring help please.