Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks and springs

hey, I think its time to upgrade my shocks and possibly springs, the bag of my car constantly bottoms out when I go through pot holes. Im pretty confident that.I want to go.with the kono srt shocks from sam strano, and I was gonna get the springs from him as well but summit has bmr spring on sale. Im a college student and money is tough to come by, so are the strano springs worth the extra 50$ over the bmr? ive looked on other threads and it seems to come down to preference, did anyone have experience with both? thank you
Old 11-25-2014, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad1995
are the strano springs worth the extra 50$ over the bmr?

NO.

But my opinion may be a little partial

Seriously though, our springs are VERY similar in rate, drop, etc. They both offer about the same handling and ride quality benefits. I can't speak for Sam's parts, but I do know ours have a lifetime warranty against sag and fatigue. If you have any other questions about our springs, feel free to give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
NO.

But my opinion may be a little partial

Seriously though, our springs are VERY similar in rate, drop, etc. They both offer about the same handling and ride quality benefits. I can't speak for Sam's parts, but I do know ours have a lifetime warranty against sag and fatigue. If you have any other questions about our springs, feel free to give me a call.
x2
Old 11-26-2014, 02:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm a little biased too. And I'm going to say yes...and here's why.

1. My springs are not expensive, I'm not asking $300 a set or anything.

2. My springs are these days made by Hyperco, not a mom and pop spring company where I get them on the cheap.

3. My springs are proven time and time again for years. I've been making them with the same rates and the same winding for years. Others have changed their springs, even after proclaiming on this forum their previous version was "the best". I just don't get why you'd change something you were so sure about... but I guess that's just me being strange.

My springs look like this, and always have:

BMR springs, back in the "they are the best era" looked like this:

BMR springs, today... when I guess they aren't the best because they changed them??? Look like this (and you'll see they look a lot like mine, years after mine looked like mine):

I could go on and on. But here's the bottom line. My springs are not copies of anyone else's. They are not relabeled. They are speced and built to what I wanted based off of my background. Background that frankly others do not have in making cars turn. It's easy to claim it, harder to prove it. You can look at my website and youtube too and find video's of cars running on my springs/rates and you judge for yourself how well the cars look to work.

And I should add that while BMR and I do not get along very well, if you wanted them that badly I can also supply them through other vendors I deal with. I think you can do better myself....

A representative of the company they have make their springs came to see me one day, which is how I know who does make their springs. And one of the statements to me at that time in my office was "if you give us a spring, we can copy it". I only make a few parts, I don't copy what others do, I only do things when I think I can do a better job. Now did my spring get copied? Does it matter to you? Could be you think the answers to both are no. And that's fine. So look at the products on their merit, and understand that I had huge development costs in my springs, testing and trying various things, and proved out how well they work by winning events on them (and not local events, but SCCA National Championships... on springs you can drive every day I think you'll see why I feel my springs are 'worth it'. I'm a two person company, I can't afford to just give them away.

Here's what I suggest. Of course each of us will claim that we have the best springs. So I think you ought to call and speak to all parties involved and see what you get for information about how and why things are the way they are.

My phone number is shown below. I invite you call me and discuss it, unless it's simple about the price, in which case I'm not the guy. I don't sell cheap. I also don't only carry my springs, but others as well because I don't always think I have all the answers. Not everyone else can say that.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We do get a little better pricing on springs, mostly due to the sheer quantity we buy in. We buy literally thousands at a time, which of course means we get better individual pricing, meaning we can pass along the savings
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a customer of BMR and Strano over the past 8 years, both sides have their merit. I went with Strano springs and have not regretted it a single time. Now, I also got my springs years before BMR came out with their version. If I had to do it all over and choose between the 2, I would go Strano regardless of the cost difference (which is minimal at this price point). Like Sam said, call both and do some reading on the boards. Then make your decision. Just remember shocks play a role in things too. Dont go get some quality springs and ride on old blown shocks. You wont be happy regardless which springs you go with. Sam can assist you with a spring/shock combo as well!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 for Strano's w/Koni STR.t's
Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I loved my Strano/KONI combo when I had my Trans Am.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Up until last week I had no experience with either companies or products. I've been lurking LS1Tech for a while and decided to go with Strano's. Very satisfied! Went with Bilstein as I knew they'd be an improvement but I don't need the adjustability or added cost of Koni's
Just my opinion, but I doubt you'll be disapponted with either, expecially compared to bottoming out
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 PM

Default stranos/bilstein combo

Just purchased my set of stranos springs and I already the bilstein shocks on my 97 SS and I'm just wanting to know if anyone had ever ran that combo and if they liked our disliked the combo and why. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never used that combo before but its a very popular one here. Do a small search and youll find plenty of info on it. It seems to be the cheaper alternative to strano+koni

Quick Reply: shocks and springs