Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Knocking Under Car: Adjustable UMI TA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking Under Car: Adjustable UMI TA?

Alright so I installed an udjustable UMI torque arm a while back, and my car knocks like crazy now at low rpms when I'm barely on the pedal. It's like the TA is shifting back and forth and it's knocking. I have read where a guy made a bushing for the heim joint in the back where the bolt goes through it for a tighter fit, but does anyone else know of anything that might be causing it?

I love the solid feel of the TA, but the knocking is a little annoying at times, especially when every time someone gets in the car they ask what it is.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have the stocker T/A, but I had the same exact knocking noise you describe. The T/A was just loose where it bolts into the rear end. Just tightened it up real good and the noise was gone. I'm sure you've already checked all your bolts, but this cleared it up for me. Also double check your T/A bushing is tight. Are you bolting it up to the trans tailshaft or do you have an aftermarket relocation bracket? Good luck!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ill get under there and double check all the bolts again. I have checked the two bolts that connect the arm to the bracket on the rearend, but I haven't checked the two bolts that go on top of the rearend. I have the relocation mount, and it is a full length TA by them way.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If those long vertical bolts are loose it will have a knock like you're describing. Also ensure that you're jam nuts are tight in all locations. Get those all tightened and throw threadlocker on if you'd like and report back!

Last edited by UMI Sales; 12-02-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
If those long vertical bolts are loose it will have a knock like you're describing. Also ensure that you're jam nuts are tight in all locations. Get those all tightened and throw threadlocker on if you'd like and report back!
I got under the car last night to check on the TA, and I found that all three of the adjustment jam nuts were loose. I tightened them all up, and the knocking seemed to decrease quite a bit. All the rest of the locking nuts were tight, and the nuts/bolts on the front of the TA were tight. I still get a tad in 6th a very low rpms, but it's not doing it nearly as bad in the rest of the gears now. I can deal with the little bit I get in 6th.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97_ek
I got under the car last night to check on the TA, and I found that all three of the adjustment jam nuts were loose. I tightened them all up, and the knocking seemed to decrease quite a bit. All the rest of the locking nuts were tight, and the nuts/bolts on the front of the TA were tight. I still get a tad in 6th a very low rpms, but it's not doing it nearly as bad in the rest of the gears now. I can deal with the little bit I get in 6th.

Thanks for the help.
The solid mount of the torque arm will enhance noises, vibrations ect. Most cammed cars have trouble in 6th gear at low RPMs, they buck. The aftermarket arms like this and being mounting to the chassis really enhance this making it more noticeable.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The solid mount of the torque arm will enhance noises, vibrations ect. Most cammed cars have trouble in 6th gear at low RPMs, they buck. The aftermarket arms like this and being mounting to the chassis really enhance this making it more noticeable.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Exactly, I'm okay with the little bit that it is doing now. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Knocking Under Car: Adjustable UMI TA?