Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Alignment?

How is caster set? I know it's by the rear bolt, but with the weight on the wheels how are the bolts for both camber/caster forced in or out of the slots? The tech was more used to using offset alignment bolts and I can see how they'd work, but when he showed me what he was trying to do it had me stumped too!
We managed to get the toe & camber set but it was a pain trying to set caster, we settled on about +4.5 each side.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

SPX Kent-Moore, OTC, an a few other companies makes a turnbuckle style tool, or you can use a ratchet strap which some alignmet guys I know prefer to use because it's a lot less expensive.
Here's what it looks like:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...5L._SX522_.jpg
Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check E-bay. Sometimes the "J-Hook" tools show up there. I found a couple there several years ago, at a decent price....
Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I have a UMI k member and there are no holes to attach anything like that except on the k member, ratchet strap wouldn't hold and it took 2 of us using a pry bar and tightening the nuts down to get the settings we did.
It seems to drive ok but I'd like to know what method people are using with after market K members & A arms for the next time I need an alignment.

Last edited by MasterV8; 12-22-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterV8
Thanks, I have a UMI k member and there are no holes to attach anything like that except on the k member, ratchet strap wouldn't hold and it took 2 of us using a pry bar and tightening the nuts down to get the settings we did.
It seems to drive ok but I'd like to know what method people are using with after market K members & A arms for next time the I need an alignment.
In all honesty, your caster isn't all that bad. 5-5.5* would probably be better, but still, you're at least in the ball park. Are you using the OE arms with the aftermarket K-member?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
In all honesty, your caster isn't all that bad. 5-5.5* would probably be better, but still, you're at least in the ball park. Are you using the OE arms with the aftermarket K-member?
No UMI lower a arms
Old 12-22-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

4.5* caster isn't bad at all, it's about where mine is set. It'll have a slightly lighter low speed steering feel, and a little less high speed straight line stability compared to 5-5.5* caster. Setting the caster is a compromise between it an setting the camber, so don't be afraid to run a little bit of negative camber(under -1*) it should have very little to no effect on tire wear and allow you more possibly more caster adjustment. I also have UMI front lower A-arms, and that's what my alignment guy actually prefers to use the ratchet straps on to adjust the camber an caster.

Quick Reply: Alignment?