Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

07 Grand Prix Gxp bilstein struts alternatives .

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Grand Prix Gxp bilstein struts alternatives .

Hello i have an 07 gxp i really had to reach to get this vehicle it does have 183000 bought it with 175000 ,i am in the process of changing the rack and pinion and thats been a nightmare in itself it now also needs all four struts , i spoke with bilstein yesterday 1-05-2015 ..the struts are discontinud and there is no alternative from them and they can not be rebuilt leaving us owners dead in the water, I have owned 8 grand prixs this one killing me i really need alternatives that will maintain some of its handling, i definetely do not want to change my control arms or sway bar, it does have 180 k but im willing to spend a decent amount because im not giving up on her ..thanks for any help at all i really prefer struts to be yellow to match gxp oem but not mandatory
Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With that many miles it's probably a good idea to do control arms. The only difference is the 97-03 have the sway bar mount ans the 04+ don't. Plus if you change to the older style ( you can get the police/taxi ones) then you can run a GMPP sway bar.

I talked to Bilstein myself and they can re-valve your stock struts, BUT since they were not designed to be rebuilt they will cost far more than they are worth.

If I can find it I have a link for a place than can build struts with aluminum bodies and I think a coil-over option to save some weight.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:42 AM

Thank you so much for reply i did not see it,ok when i did rack i did control arm bushings and was told multilpe times it doesnt need ball joints its at dealer now getting trans line done so that takes away from money for struts would you go with the kyb excel g? or what would you reccommend ? i really appreciate it
Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

KYB makes no direct replacements for the GXP. I would recommend you stick with the bilsteins. Suaveat69 is correct that you can use a set of struts from a 97-03 Grand Prix but you will have to use the control arms from those years. You can get dorman control arms from rockauto for about $50 to swap over to the 97-03 style. You also have the option to use the FE3 struts from an 04+ Grand Prix.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:02 PM

thank you very much, im very interested in the FE-3 is that off the comp g? if you happen to know the part # im getting a lil overwhelmed id love the bilstein but everyone tells me not to spen the money because car has 183k ive replaced just about everything i can besides struts so should be with me for a long time i may keep this one ive had 8 grand prixs ..anyway im leaning toward bilstein again just may have to do front and rear at sepereate times any info or direction is much appreciated!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are going to keep it then go with the bilsteins. If you go with the FE3 route, you will have to swap to the 97-03 Grand Prix lower control arms.

Check out this thread on the FE3 suspension.

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...-with-KYB-tech
Old 02-25-2015, 10:05 PM

Thank you i just ordered the Bilstein !!!!!! 463.00 for the 2 front on amazon already have mounts unfortunate that i have to do front and rear at seperate times ..but soon it will be all 4 Bilstein corners baby im geeked long live GXP

Quick Reply: 07 Grand Prix Gxp bilstein struts alternatives .