Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015 | 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Default Shock Swap

I have a few questions for everyone. I have a set of Konis+Eibachs that Im going to put on my 01 WS6. The car has 129k on it, so Im wanting to do new shock mounts and spring isolators. I need help with figuring out what brand to get for those. I called a local GM dealershop and theg said the shock mounts were discontinued. My thought was to get a set of Moogs for the mounts and isolators. This are all for the front, Ive not read anythat says the rear isolators get to be non-reuseable. While Im in there, is there any other recommendations for things to change? I was thinking maybe swaybar endlinks/bushings and got onto the idea of just getting a set pf Strano sway bars. With those, would I need to change those to run with a MWC Watts Link? Thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2015 | 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Moog is the brand for the upper mount and that little thing that slides into the mount before the nut goes on (I still don't get why those are sold separately to start with) and RockAuto is the best price on those.

also now would be a good time to check your tie rods if they are getting anywhere near worn out now is when it makes sense to replace them since you will need an alignment after installing springs/shocks.
Old 01-25-2015 | 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

I am replacing shocks & springs right now. I pulled the right front assembly off a few hours ago. I found that the sway bar end links were very very worn. I found that the "spring mount" was worn. So I just ordered both mounts and sway bar end links from Rock Auto. I knew I should have ordered those parts pre disassembly, but I was hoping I could save a buck or two. I was wrong. My car has 90K miles.
Old 01-25-2015 | 08:47 PM
On The Tree

How did your isolators inside the mount look? Ill be checking rock auto as well. Id been looking at Summit right now for that stuff. Probably will end up with the end links too
Old 01-26-2015 | 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

The bottom isolators looked fine. I am replacing them though. The car has some miles on it and I am down there any ways. Get the parts a head of time. It saves in the long run.

Last edited by dp121; 01-27-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2015 | 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you get new mounts and isolators for both front shocks then you will not have the hassle of removing the old parts that are commonly corroded and worn out. The isolators are not that much cost and you will likely spend at least that on the added labor of trying to remove them.

As far as the MWC Watts link setup there should be no issues caused from any spring,shock, or mounts you use.
Old 01-26-2015 | 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Excellent. Thats what Ill be doing then.

Moog all around: Front Shock Mounts, Upper and Lower isolators, sway bar end links and tie rods. Might as well right?

Any other suggestions, since Ill be in there?

Quick Reply: Shock Swap