Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

It's time..... Want to save some money on Koni's????? Shock Value is back!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought my harshness was two-pronged, resulting from stiff spring rates and firm compression dampening from Koni shocks. I understand going from Koni/Strano to Koni/Stock Springs would yield better ride quality characteristics but wouldn't a Bilstein/Stock Spring yield the best ride quality?

I value your opinion but I thought on stock springs, Blisten is more comfortable than Koni's.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Order placed Saturday Sam for Koni's and Strano sways
Old 04-06-2015, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my second set of Koni 4/3 and Strano springs. I had them on my black 99 SS and now they are on my silver 02 SS. I got his hollow sway bars to go along with the springs and shocks.

Sam- What is your preferred setup with this awesome setup? I do a lot of street driving and the occasional local autoX event.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I thought my harshness was two-pronged, resulting from stiff spring rates and firm compression dampening from Koni shocks. I understand going from Koni/Strano to Koni/Stock Springs would yield better ride quality characteristics but wouldn't a Bilstein/Stock Spring yield the best ride quality?

I value your opinion but I thought on stock springs, Blisten is more comfortable than Koni's.
Thought, or know? Big difference. And springs resist the wheel moving up and over things more, shocks change the speed at which is happens. With all due respect I think you are making assumptions to some degree.

Note that I am not saying that my springs suck, etc. Clearly lots and lots folks are very happy with them, and they are pretty much one of the best riding lowering springs out there. But they are both stiffer in rate, and shorter in travel as compared to stock.

I cannot account for every personal taste as they vary all over the place.

Bilstein vs. Koni Sports isn't a fair comparison. But neither is judging ride of a shock based on lowering springs. "RIDE" means very different things to different folks. Some hate floaty and don't mind firm. Some feel firm = harsh. There is a lot to it.

You want the BEST ride, period. Bilstein's and stock springs, then Koni STR.T and stock springs, then Koni Sport and stock springs. Then you start on the lowering spring side of things, rinse and repeat... but Bilstein's over the long run won't control the springs as well and at some point the ride actually suffers (and the control was never as good).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-06-2015, 12:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SH1ZN1T
I am on my second set of Koni 4/3 and Strano springs. I had them on my black 99 SS and now they are on my silver 02 SS. I got his hollow sway bars to go along with the springs and shocks.

Sam- What is your preferred setup with this awesome setup? I do a lot of street driving and the occasional local autoX event.
I learned a long time ago to not give away the farm, publicly. Feel free to call me and we can talk things out a little bit. All my customers can do that, it's part of how I thank you guys. But I can't just brain dump online, too many times it ends up being copied by others.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

I really hope you get more STR-T's in stock soon Sam
Old 04-06-2015, 01:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Me too, but again... Koni North America is out. This isn't a matter of Strano Performance Parts being out, it's Koni.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Thought, or know? Big difference. And springs resist the wheel moving up and over things more, shocks change the speed at which is happens. With all due respect I think you are making assumptions to some degree.

Note that I am not saying that my springs suck, etc. Clearly lots and lots folks are very happy with them, and they are pretty much one of the best riding lowering springs out there. But they are both stiffer in rate, and shorter in travel as compared to stock.

I cannot account for every personal taste as they vary all over the place.

Bilstein vs. Koni Sports isn't a fair comparison. But neither is judging ride of a shock based on lowering springs. "RIDE" means very different things to different folks. Some hate floaty and don't mind firm. Some feel firm = harsh. There is a lot to it.

You want the BEST ride, period. Bilstein's and stock springs, then Koni STR.T and stock springs, then Koni Sport and stock springs. Then you start on the lowering spring side of things, rinse and repeat... but Bilstein's over the long run won't control the springs as well and at some point the ride actually suffers (and the control was never as good).
Thanks for the feedback. I will try stock springs on the Koni's first then.

Aside from that, I want to note that I am not bashing your springs. On smoother roads, the combo is amazing and I am very happy with it. However, I live in Chicago where the streets are littered with potholes and they do a half-assed job of repairing them which isn't ideal for sport suspension. I mean this is what I have to deal with:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PG6HB0-9BC8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvETPYs2NU

Hopefully they embedded correctly.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I understand that, but I'm glad you said so because I'm sure there are certain folks what want to read it that way.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

I learned a long time ago to not give away the farm, publicly. Feel free to call me and we can talk things out a little bit. All my customers can do that, it's part of how I thank you guys. But I can't just brain dump online, too many times it ends up being copied by others.
Will do! I will try to give you a call today.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Hey Sam got the shocks waiting on the swaybar's any word on when they will be back in stock?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Checking on that now. Order was delayed a bit, some military contract MRAP stuff comes first I guess (and rightly so even if it's a bit annoying).
Old 05-07-2015, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any update on the koni strt shocks?
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zlow28
any update on the koni strt shocks?
Called WS6 store today, they got cleaned out except for a few rear STRT shocks. Does anyone have a full set in stock?? PM me if you do lol i'm tired of waiting.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Powers00SS
Called WS6 store today, they got cleaned out except for a few rear STRT shocks. Does anyone have a full set in stock?? PM me if you do lol i'm tired of waiting.
I had already ordered them through sam. They mentioned they were backordered, but its been 2 months and i have only received one shock from the 4 i ordered. Im just wondering if sam has any update on these.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not really. Still waiting. Koni now showing ETA's of mid-June.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Not really. Still waiting. Koni now showing ETA's of mid-June.
Would the order need to be placed before then to get the current sale price? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can order whenever you wish, but a few things you should consider.

1. The longer you wait, the farther down the backorder list you go.

2. The longer the backorder list, the less shocks available for normal sale once those backorders are cleared. And a few times there have been more orders than shocks arriving.

3. I don't know when the sale ends officially, I've not been told yet, and only orders submitted in full before the end of the sale get the sale price.

4. Backorders are paid orders to hold your place in line. You can always cancel or opt to move that credit to other shocks if you so choose, up to the time the STR.T's arrive and your set ships.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

Quick Reply: It's time..... Want to save some money on Koni's????? Shock Value is back!