Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help chosing spring rates.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help chosing spring rates.

Im thinking of going with the ground control coil over set up in the next month or two and I have a choice on what springs I wanted. Anyone want to give me advice on what I should go with.
On hte front I have a choice of the following.
650, 700, 750, 800, 850, 900, 950, 1000, 1050,1100, 1200 and up to 4000 lbs./in
Then on the rear I have a choice of
125 lbs./in., 150, 175, 200, 250, 275 ,300
Im looking to make the car handle. I can tollerate a harsh ride that comes with the stiffer spring. But at the same time I dont want over kill on the suspension. I look forward to participate in autocrosses and open tracking the car in the future.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll throw my opinion out untill someone with more experience chimes in. Since you mentiened nothing lower than 650lbs/in, I'll go with that in the front and 150lbs/in in the rear.

Just curious, what do you intend to do with the car? AutoXs generally like spring rates a bit softer than open track guys. I had Eibach LT1 ProKit {a bit stiffer than LS1 ProKit} springs untill recently when I changed to the GW coil overs with 600lb springs in the front. I've kept the rears for now untill I get bored and my curiousity gets the best of me,,, then I might try the GW rears.

Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to try the new setup out yet {Strano has had severe problems getting me my bars-going on 3 months! } but I do like the reduction in brake dive.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im looking to road race the car after I take advantage of some driving schools. At first I wanted to do some auto X, but id have to take some of the stuff off the car (internal engine) that I already have just to get in a class with normal street driven cars.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

up up up
Old 06-02-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default springs

When I raced at nationals in 2000, we were running the GW coil overs in the front. The car was using a 650lb front spring, not the 850+ lb spring GW sends with the kit. The 650 was still a bit too stiff for autox, a 550 or 575 would have been perfect, but we were close enough not to pull the car apart. In the rear we tried many springs, the 1LE springs were WAY too stiff and putting down the power was a problem even with 315 hoosiers and a T2R. The V6 springs were too soft and the car spent most of the time on the bumpstops. The best spring we found was the SLP Level II rear spring.
I now run the 1LE front spring and a GW rear spring that is the same rate as the SLP without any lowering. According to Sam when you go from the stock style spring to a coil over (2.5in) the rate needs to go up 100lbs to remain the same in feel. So my 360lb springs are like 460lb coilovers. All the Evolution school drivers who have driven my car, think my setup is just about perfect for an F-body in autox, just my driving is the weak spot.
Becarefull of going with the stiff springs. The tires need to remain in contact with the surface to grip,a bouncing tire is useless. Also lifting a wheel looks cool, but now that tire is doing nothing to grip the surface. I have been told that stiffer springs work well in roadracing as the surfaces are smoother and the transitions are not nearly as fast to upset the car.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

For the record, my swaybars are taking time to make. That's because I make X amount, and end up needing more and more of them and have to add to the order (and they are made in runs, not one at a time). The latest batch is being shipped as I type. And UPS did lose 7 out of the first 40 bars, which has nothing to do with me, except that I have to have them replaced ASAP.

I can understand your wanting the bars, but they are a new item and we're just trying to keep up with demand. And runs of 30 and 40 bars isn't exactly a priority for Addco, I'm just glad they were willing to make them for me. Good things come to those who wait.

As for spring rates and the original poster. Why do you think you have choices of 650+ only? If you want you can run much softer. I run 500's on my car with 150's in back and 35/22 hollow bars. The car works and I give Z06's fits all the time @ National SCCA events. This weekend I beat all of SS outright.......
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Need help chosing spring rates.