Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard and LCA questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well now that i know about the LCA's and panhard a little... I order some tubular non-adjustable BMR's chrome moly with poly poly ends.. but what about the panhard rod? should i get chrome moly in that or just get the mild steel? how much weight would i be saving? and same thing with the torque arm? should i get chrome moly or mild steel? big price difference.. is it worth the chome moly?
Old 06-11-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference in weight from a chrome moly PHB to a mild steel is about 2lbs maybe less. The chrome moly will be and is a stronger material. Its is used as an Aircraft material, very lite and extremely strong. Do you need chrome moly for a PHB? I would not think so, a nicely welded mild steel bar should hold up for ever (unless you get the BMR adjust. version, Mitch can tell you all about that one breaking).

On the torque arm, there is more material then a PHB therefor a chrome moly torque arm will be lighter then a mild steel, I am not sure how much. But I dont see any problem in using a mild steel, however it might be worth the extra money to go with the chrome moly version with some good track times. Lets see some others opinions on this.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt the extra cost of the chromoly would be worth the amount of weight saved, unless you are very serious about saving weight, in that case an aluminum panard rod and LCA's are the way to go IMO.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:21 PM
RV
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would spend the extra dough on an adj. phb so you can center the rear if you choose to lower the car.