Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Horrible brake fade!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015 | 04:19 PM
Teching In

Default Horrible brake fade!!

new to the site ive tried reseaching different options for brakes on the front of my 02 SS. Would really like some input and suggestions. Ive been looking at the ctsv 4 piston swap on 17" wheels.
Old 06-14-2015 | 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by "Wink-winK"
new to the site ive tried reseaching different options for brakes on the front of my 02 SS. Would really like some input and suggestions. Ive been looking at the ctsv 4 piston swap on 17" wheels.
Search the suspension/brake section and be extremely detailed when you post.
What is the car used for? Just street driving? Auto-x? Road course?
Your setup will be different depending on what you do.
Unless you are hardcore road racing you can get away with stock style blank rotors, stock calipers and good pads <- that is the key.
Check out stranoparts.com
Old 06-14-2015 | 07:48 PM
Teching In

I would like to start auto x with it never tried with the setup i currently have, which at the moment is slotted and cross drilled rotors and some duralast pads that have been on the car when i purchased it. The setup is horrible.
Old 06-14-2015 | 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would like to start auto x with it never tried with the setup i currently have, which at the moment is slotted and cross drilled rotors and some duralast pads that have been on the car when i purchased it. The setup is horrible.
Yup, duralast's are ****. And drilled rotors can crack. Id ditch the whole setup and get some quality blank rotors and hawk HPS pads.
While on the subject for auto-x look into the koni/strano setup, don't be tricked into getting drag coilovers (like viking, qa1, afco or strange) for handling as many do. Run a square tire setup, not staggered, and stay away from poly bushings. Make sure you search before buying anything, there are A LOT of parts out there that will HURT handling and driveabilty that some sponsors would never tell you about.
Old 06-15-2015 | 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Yup, duralast's are ****. And drilled rotors can crack. Id ditch the whole setup and get some quality blank rotors and hawk HPS pads..
+1 on the blank rotors and hawk hps pads, although I've found ebc yellow pads to be very good as well.
Old 06-15-2015 | 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for a simple set of blank rotors and Hawk HPS or 5.0 pads. You'll definitely notice a difference from your current setup.

If you start to spend more time on track, it's worthwhile to run street pads (HPS or something similar) and track pads. I prefer the Hawk DTC-60 on track.
Old 06-17-2015 | 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i vote for brembo sloted rotors with hps pads, have this combo for 7 yrs and i love it
Old 06-17-2015 | 02:20 PM
Teching In

Does anyone like the idea of ctsv brakes
Old 06-17-2015 | 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You mean the sticky at the top of this forum?
Old 06-17-2015 | 07:32 PM
Teching In

Yes sir
Old 06-17-2015 | 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Overkill for what you want to do, that money could be better spent else where.
Old 06-20-2015 | 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Question

What are 5.0 pads?

Do you run the same DTC-60's on both front & rear?

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Another vote for a simple set of blank rotors and Hawk HPS or 5.0 pads. You'll definitely notice a difference from your current setup.

If you start to spend more time on track, it's worthwhile to run street pads (HPS or something similar) and track pads. I prefer the Hawk DTC-60 on track.
Old 06-23-2015 | 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, definitely overkill. To give you an idea what your stock brakes are capable of, I ran brakes that were the same size as yours for a couple of years for road racing. I needed to upgrade when the car's speeds started hitting 140 with regularity, and then it was only because I needed the extra heat shedding/holding from higher mass rotors. The big calipers kinda came with the territory, but were not absolutely needed. I was eyeballling 2010 camaro ss calipers when a buddy bought the wilwoods.

This for a semi-dedicated track car that goes back and forth between granny slow and stupid fast a lot in a short timeframe. If you're street, drag, autox mostly, then big brakes don't really have a practical application (besides looking cool). Road race and towing are different animals though.

Last edited by 1981TA; 06-24-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2015 | 05:38 AM
Teching In

What rotors are good with the stock setup
Old 06-24-2015 | 06:03 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

What rotors are good with the stock setup
Brembo blanks, for stock sized rotors. For pads I would recommend Carbotech AX6s. They do dust, but so do the HPS, but the difference is it will wipe off and never stick like Hawks do.

No one has mentioned it, but good fluid is important.

I just put Hawk 5.0s on my SRT8, dust is good, but the squeal, oh my lord.
Old 06-24-2015 | 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Are these generally agreed to be comparable to the HPS in stopping power? If so, wipeable dust is a HUGE plus!

While we're on the topic, what have you all found best for wiping HPS dust clean after it sticks?

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Brembo blanks, for stock sized rotors. For pads I would recommend Carbotech AX6s. They do dust, but so do the HPS, but the difference is it will wipe off and never stick like Hawks do.
Old 06-24-2015 | 04:06 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Are these generally agreed to be comparable to the HPS in stopping power? If so, wipeable dust is a HUGE plus!

While we're on the topic, what have you all found best for wiping HPS dust clean after it sticks?
I would bet they are significantly better. They feel like you are going through the wind shield strong cold. That is with SS lines. They are for autocrossing so they are designed to be used at temps ambient to below 1000 degrees.

I loved them.

I have XP12s and 10s now, which are a race pad, but have the same dust characteristics. Noisy though.
Old 06-24-2015 | 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Brembo blanks, for stock sized rotors.

No one has mentioned it, but good fluid is important.
Brembo still makes blanks for our stock systems??

I thought that they stopped manufacturing these at least 8-9 years ago, and ONLY offer the slotted, and/or drilled for our stock set up now, or is it just that they shifted ALL manufacturing of our stock size/fit rotors over to China (and still make the blanks for us there).

I always thought that the reasons above are WHY Sam (Strano) stopped carrying the Brembo blanks (EITHER Sino made, or NO blanks at all offered from them).

Agree on the fluid, since many to most on here think "brake fluid is brake fluid", just like they do for gear oil.

I am going to try the Torque RT700 fluid next (with the AX6es, IF they are made for the Wilwoods), with either a Wilwood front system, or a totally replaced stock system, and just flush it every 1.5 years.
Old 06-24-2015 | 05:20 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Brembo still makes blanks for our stock systems??

I thought that they stopped manufacturing these at least 8-9 years ago, and ONLY offer the slotted, and/or drilled for our stock set up now, or is it just that they shifted ALL manufacturing of our stock size/fit rotors over to China (and still make the blanks for us there).

I always thought that the reasons above are WHY Sam (Strano) stopped carrying the Brembo blanks (EITHER Sino made, or NO blanks at all offered from them).

Agree on the fluid, since many to most on here think "brake fluid is brake fluid", just like they do for gear oil.

I am going to try the Torque RT700 fluid next (with the AX6es, IF they are made for the Wilwoods), with either a Wilwood front system, or a totally replaced stock system, and just flush it every 1.5 years.
You might be right. I had one set 8 years ago, went to Baer Eradi Speeds, now have Wilwoods 6 piston 13", but recalled the blanks were very stable and had good wear.

They do not make the 2 pc Eradi's anymore either.
Old 06-29-2015 | 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
What are 5.0 pads?

Do you run the same DTC-60's on both front & rear?
I run stock blank rotors. Haven't been able to find the Brembo blanks for several years, however I've had good success with the NAPA premium rotors (and the warranty is nice as long as they keep taking them back).

The Hawk 5.0 pads are aimed to fill a need similar to the HPS albeit with a different compound. Just another alternative to the HPS.

On track, I run DTC-60's on the front and HP+ on the rear. I'm going to experiment more with the DTC-70's up front this fall to see if that does a better job getting the front/rear bias in line to eliminate wheel hop. The current setup isn't bad, however I think there might be a marginal improvement with the DTC-70/HP+ combo.

Last edited by Midnight02; 06-29-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Horrible brake fade!!