Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is Eibach that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Eibach that bad?

Hey, this is my first post. I've been hovering around for over a year but decided this was my first post-worthy concern.

I live in Canada so it's tough to find fbody parts here, even online. If I ordered from the states, the currency conversion, shipping and duties would make whatever I'm getting stupid expensive. One thing I wanna do is make my car handle better. I saw this (http://www.bilsteincanada.com/produc...oducts_id=3963) and it looks like a good deal. It's Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks for $830 CDN while other packages are like $1000 US before shipping and duties and everything.

The issue is, I've read multiple times on this forum that Eibach springs are horrible but are they THAT bad? Is the extra ~$700 I'd be paying for another brand's springs be worth it?

Also, this is a general question, my car has 255 tires with 19" rims and is currently on stock springs and shocks. Sorry I'm kinda dumb about this but would I have to get smaller rims so that the tires don't rub once it's lowered?

Another general question. What other suspension mods are recommended for street driving? I don't want it to be unbearable as a DD, I just want to be able to turn corners fast with confidence.

I pre-emptively thank you for any insight.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hamidq
Hey, this is my first post. I've been hovering around for over a year but decided this was my first post-worthy concern.

I live in Canada so it's tough to find fbody parts here, even online. If I ordered from the states, the currency conversion, shipping and duties would make whatever I'm getting stupid expensive. One thing I wanna do is make my car handle better. I saw this (http://www.bilsteincanada.com/produc...oducts_id=3963) and it looks like a good deal. It's Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks for $830 CDN while other packages are like $1000 US before shipping and duties and everything.

The issue is, I've read multiple times on this forum that Eibach springs are horrible but are they THAT bad? Is the extra ~$700 I'd be paying for another brand's springs be worth it?

Also, this is a general question, my car has 255 tires with 19" rims and is currently on stock springs and shocks. Sorry I'm kinda dumb about this but would I have to get smaller rims so that the tires don't rub once it's lowered?

Another general question. What other suspension mods are recommended for street driving? I don't want it to be unbearable as a DD, I just want to be able to turn corners fast with confidence.

I pre-emptively thank you for any insight.
For what you are paying, yes they are bad IMO.
Known for sagging issues and not the greatest spring rates, for around the same price you could get a much better spring (strano springs for example).
If you are dead set on the bilstiens (koni SA's would be better, even with the extra cost) then look at this package:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
Further more upgrading your swaybars to 35mm front, 22mm rear (like Umi or strano bars) will significantly improve handling as well.
Also ditch the skinny 19" wheels for some wider 17" or 18", at least 9" wide to run a 275 tire.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
For what you are paying, yes they are bad IMO.
Known for sagging issues and not the greatest spring rates, for around the same price you could get a much better spring (strano springs for example).
If you are dead set on the bilstiens (koni SA's would be better, even with the extra cost) then look at this package:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
Further more upgrading your swaybars to 35mm front, 22mm rear (like Umi or strano bars) will significantly improve handling as well.
Also ditch the skinny 19" wheels for some wider 17" or 18", at least 9" wide to run a 275 tire.
Hey, thanks for the input.

Hmm... just the part itself runs to $825 CDN before taxes, shipping and duties. I might be looking at around $1500 CDN once it's at my door as opposed to $989 for the Eibach/Bilstein combo. I guess a $500 difference might not be so bad but that's still a lot of money. I prematurely "bought" the package but I called right after and left a message asking for a cancellation and details about how much taxes, shipping and duties would run me. BTW, the Canadian dollar is horrible right now which is why this is so expensive.

I'm not set on Bilstein or anything, the only reason I considered this package was because I found it through a Canadian retailer which means no shipping or duty charges.

About the tires, I could benefit from something wider but I won't lie, I love the way the rims look but I guess that's something I might have to sacrifice for better handling. I guess I'm gonna start looking into that too but not as eagerly as springs and shocks. I just hope that whatever spring and shock package I choose can accommodate different wheel set-ups.

BTW, what else is recommended in terms of sway bars and panhard bars? Sorry, I know this is off my original topic.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Eibach's quality has slipped over the years, but..... Back in 1995, when I bought my '96 Z/28, there weren't too many suppliers of lowering springs, and Eibach was one of those few. I bought their "Pro-Kit", and had the springs on the car through 2008-2009, without any issues.

I initially used the springs with the OE shocks, which might not have been ideal, but I didn't want to trash the shocks of a brand new car. Several years later, I swapped in a set of the SLP Bilstein shocks, which were a much better deal, and ran them until '08-'09. At that point, I threw a Strano spring/Koni shock set-up on the car, and ran it that way until I sold the car, a couple of months ago.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of Eibach pro springs on the car now. Are they terrible to the point of being counterproductive to the Koni STRTs I just ordered?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Eibach are just known to have sagging issue over time which lead to uneven ride height and subpar ride quality. We sell a lot of our BMR lowering springs to people that are replacing there Eibach springs.

We can put together a package with Bilstein or Koni shocks along with our BMR lowering spring that will be considerably cheaper than what you are looking at and will perform better. A better wheel/tire combination which also be a huge improvement to your vehicle along with a set of good quality sway bars, like the BMR Suspension ones we offer. An adjustable panhard bar and good set of lower control arms wouldn't be a bad idea also.

If you have any particular questions or if we can help you out with something just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Their (Eibach's) linear rate, 2.5" I.D. coil over springs are not bad, but that being said, if/when I ever replace mine on the front (Koni DA with GC coilover conversion on it), I WILL get Hypercoils.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not going to argue with anyone over this, especially a forum sponsor. All I'll say is that if my Eibach springs did "sag", they did in a uniform manner, as my car was level at all times.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm not going to argue with anyone over this, especially a forum sponsor. All I'll say is that if my Eibach springs did "sag", they did in a uniform manner, as my car was level at all times.
You are definitely in the minority, if you do a search there are a ton of threads about Eibachs have sagging issues and uneven ride height. I just googled "Eibach springs sag" and there were enough threads to validate the sag issue that these springs clearly have.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

leadfoot4 said "I'm not going to argue with anyone over this, especially a forum sponsor. All I'll say is that if my Eibach springs did "sag", they did in a uniform manner, as my car was level at all times."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh.. not all Eibach's "sag", in fact not all Eibach's are even the same. LS1 and LT1 Prokits are very, very different in fact. And more often than not they didn't sag so much as just sit a little low in the rear to start with. Others did sag with time.

You may not want to argue that, but don't put your head in the sand either.

More to the point, the LS1 Pro-kit rates kind of sucked. LT1 stuff was better, a lot better... but I thought I could better yet, and I think I did. Lighter, more consistent and better riding too.

I still sell Eibach on the rare case someone wants it. Sold an Eibach front for a Mustang earlier today. I have no reason to not sell Eibach, and if I thought it was a great option, I would.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
leadfoot4 said "I'm not going to argue with anyone over this, especially a forum sponsor. All I'll say is that if my Eibach springs did "sag", they did in a uniform manner, as my car was level at all times."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may not want to argue that, but don't put your head in the sand either.
Sam, with all due respect, there's a big difference between mentioning one's personal experience and "putting your head in the sand". I had two sets of Eibach springs, on two different cars. I didn't have any problems with them. As was mentioned, I must have been in the minority, and at this time, it's a moot point, since I no longer own either of the cars.

I'm done................
Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default springs

Hi, i have the eibach pro kit on my 99 ls1 and has been on the car for about 8 years with no issues at all, have just added koni sports adjustable shocks, rear bmr control arms, front bmr a-arms, and now about to add the front and rear bmr sway bars, bmr single adjustable pan hard bar, and bmr strut tower brace, which came from the states yesterday so will be fitting these soon.

Car already handles great but will be much much better when all done.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Off topic,,, but what is a "duty charge"?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
Off topic,,, but what is a "duty charge"?
A "tax" to move things across the US/Canadian border.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Due to our current currency conversion, plus fees and taxes when bringing parts over the CAN/US border, our buying power has significantly decreased. OP, check the Canadian classified section for parts before you order new ones, or even the regular classifieds. Might find a better deal in one of those places even after conversion and taxes.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought a new LS1 Eibach Pro-Kit several years ago because I got a good deal on it...ended up costing me A LOT more in the long run. As soon as I put them on, noticed the rear sat lower than the front. Tried several remedies and nothing fixed it. The car rode so bad as well, I began to hate driving it. Ended up saving up for a few months to purchase the Strano springs/Koni SA shock pacakage and it finally made me happy with my Z again! I ended up doing springs/shocks twice because I tried to take the cheaper route first. I learned the hard way, but you don'[t have to make the same mistake I did. I don't think you'll find complaints about the Strano/Koni set-up!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

To each his own. Where there is such a known issue like the Eibach issue, I think it's kind of like assuming you'll stay dry when it's clearly raining. Maybe, but likely not. Meanwhile there are "issues" you hear about that never really seem happen commonly like tailshafts busting off transmissions, but yet everyone hears it and is afraid of it when I'ver never even seen it in on any close to streetable street car.

Make of it what you will.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
To each his own. Where there is such a known issue like the Eibach issue, I think it's kind of like assuming you'll stay dry when it's clearly raining. Maybe, but likely not. Meanwhile there are "issues" you hear about that never really seem happen commonly like tailshafts busting off transmissions, but yet everyone hears it and is afraid of it when I'ver never even seen it in on any close to streetable street car.

Make of it what you will.
I think you are definitely comparing apples to oranges when comparing the Eibach sagging issue to something like a broken tailshaft housing on a transmission. The Eibach sagging issue is considerably more prevalent and happens way more often than someone breaking a tailshaft housing. The fact that you have never seen this may mean that it either doesn't happen much in the handling world or you don't notice when people do post about it. Just because you don't see/hear of something happen doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I would be way more concerned about a tailshaft housing breaking than sagging rear springs because a broken tailshaft housing can lead to other expensive failures.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

could you potentially go to a dealer just across the border, pick up and install at a buddy's house and then return home after your visit? ...or maybe you could unbox the stuff, dirty it up some, and say you got it at a boneyard for $100. Food for thought.

FWIW, The thing in my footer was originally a $900 ebay purchase I picked up in Toronto and drove home. It's been modified a bit since then.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I think you are definitely comparing apples to oranges when comparing the Eibach sagging issue to something like a broken tailshaft housing on a transmission. The Eibach sagging issue is considerably more prevalent and happens way more often than someone breaking a tailshaft housing. The fact that you have never seen this may mean that it either doesn't happen much in the handling world or you don't notice when people do post about it. Just because you don't see/hear of something happen doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I would be way more concerned about a tailshaft housing breaking than sagging rear springs because a broken tailshaft housing can lead to other expensive failures.
I think you missed Sam's point! From where I sit, it appeared that Sam was simply stating that there are various "internet myths" out there......such as "sagging Eibach springs", and "busted tailshaft housings". Different situations and different causes, but still heavily discussed and believed.

Just my $0.02 worth...........

Quick Reply: Is Eibach that bad?