Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tie rod broken? and another question (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015 | 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Default Tie rod broken? and another question (pictures)

i think my tie rod is shot, i ordered a new one, it moves with no tension at all, complete free swing.

and i need to know a part number or place i can get whatever this a arm bushing is called

i dont know the name of it for a part look up
Attached Thumbnails Tie rod broken? and another question (pictures)-arm-bushing.jpg   Tie rod broken? and another question (pictures)-tie-rod-1.jpg   Tie rod broken? and another question (pictures)-tie-rod-2.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015 | 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not broken, yet. Very well worn, yes.

When I took my tie rods off, you could hold it by the part where it's threaded and shake it up and down and the ball joint thing would just flop around. Not too good if it can do that.

That is your lower control arm bushing. Specifically your rearward or vertical one. Crap design, that's why the rubber looks like the way it does hah
Old 09-01-2015 | 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

i figured very well worn, its boot is not connected, i ordered a moog replacement. The rearward lower control arm bushing, i have another control arm, but i also have a press so i think im going to get a new one and press it out and in. if i wait on replacing that can it cause any severe problems
Old 09-01-2015 | 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah it could. Worn out bushings like that won't hold alignment and can tear your tires up.

Moog's new bushing design for that location looks really good, wish they had them when I replaced my LCA bushings a couple years ago.
Old 09-01-2015 | 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha just replaced mine with that special Moog problem solver bushing. Hopefully it'll last longer than the factory one

If you do replace both your tie rods and bushings though, try to do it all at once so that it'll save you an alignment. Not exactly fun getting the lower control arm out but if you do everything once then it's once and done without having to worry about it a second time or a second alignment as well
Old 09-01-2015 | 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Can you give me the control arm bushing moog problem solver part number
Old 09-01-2015 | 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

K200790

As mentioned, do it all at once. I'd plan on doing tie rod ends and both LCA bushings at the same time so you only have to get one alignment done. Only thing is I'm pretty sure Moog's LCA bushing kit K6490 doesn't have the new style rearward bushing, but you can't seem to buy just the Moog frontward bushing by itself. A little annoying.
Old 09-02-2015 | 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
K200790

As mentioned, do it all at once. I'd plan on doing tie rod ends and both LCA bushings at the same time so you only have to get one alignment done. Only thing is I'm pretty sure Moog's LCA bushing kit K6490 doesn't have the new style rearward bushing, but you can't seem to buy just the Moog frontward bushing by itself. A little annoying.
i am going to replace the tie rod and count out the threads and put the new one back on the same place, it was aligned with a brand new tie rod before i bought the car
Old 09-02-2015 | 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

That will get it close, but odds are it won't be exact. And you'll want to get it aligned again when you replace those LCA bushings anyway.

Quick Reply: Tie rod broken? and another question (pictures)