Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Very loud grinding noise after torque arm install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Very loud grinding noise after torque arm install.

So I just had a Founders torque arm and UMI relocation bracket installed on my car. I've heard that doing this can invite more noise into the cabin but I'm not sure what I am experiencing is normal or not. Basically, upon driving the car off, the car makes a very audible rumbling/grinding noise under the car when I am not accelerating. Its loud enough to hear over true duals and it also seems like it can be felt as well.

So is this expected or was the install done improperly? I know a 'pinion angle' has to be set.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If you hear grinding, more than likely you'll see paint scuffed off where it's coming from.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I contacted Founders and the rep said this sounds like an improperly set pinion angle. The grind/racket is terrible on deceleration and definitely can be felt in the floorwell as well.

I contacted the shop as well and will be taking the car back in Friday morning. The car does have Eibach springs and after watching some videos it sounds like this can affect the needed adjustment. Since the car is a daily driver, am I at riisk of tearing something up if I drive it with an improperly set angle? The car has an S60 rearend, the Founders TA, and a UMI relocation bracket.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
I contacted Founders and the rep said this sounds like an improperly set pinion angle. The grind/racket is terrible on deceleration and definitely can be felt in the floorwell as well.

I contacted the shop as well and will be taking the car back in Friday morning. The car does have Eibach springs and after watching some videos it sounds like this can affect the needed adjustment. Since the car is a daily driver, am I at riisk of tearing something up if I drive it with an improperly set angle? The car has an S60 rearend, the Founders TA, and a UMI relocation bracket.
I have an S60 with UMI TA and relocation bracket. My car vibrates a little as I need to work on the pinion angle a little more, but I also noticed that the torque arm mount on the differential touches the tunnel due to the size of the S60. Apparently we have to BFH that because it can cause a knocking sound and some vibration. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but it is definitely obvious where it contacts the body. Your car is lowered like mine, so I'm betting on this being the case.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
I have an S60 with UMI TA and relocation bracket. My car vibrates a little as I need to work on the pinion angle a little more, but I also noticed that the torque arm mount on the differential touches the tunnel due to the size of the S60. Apparently we have to BFH that because it can cause a knocking sound and some vibration. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but it is definitely obvious where it contacts the body. Your car is lowered like mine, so I'm betting on this being the case.
What do you mean by BFH it? 'Hammer' mod? This is a VERY loud noise and sensation. The car is lowered though with Eibach springs.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your pinion angle is definitely off. You will need to shorten the adjuster to rotate the rear end upwards. I'm assuming you got an adjustable torque arm?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
What do you mean by BFH it? 'Hammer' mod? This is a VERY loud noise and sensation. The car is lowered though with Eibach springs.
Sorry, I meant you also need to use a big hammer where the torque arm is contacting the body underneath. For me, it is the bolts that are on the bracket of the torque arm where it mounts to the S60. You have a similar setup to me, so I'm sure you have similar issues with that contacting the body and causing the vibrations as it's metal on metal.

Quick Reply: Very loud grinding noise after torque arm install.