Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Questions pertaining the powersteering cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 06:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions pertaining the powersteering cooler.

1. Whats its purpose?
2. Why did it come on the SS/WS-6 models and not the "lower" versions?
3. Can it be removed? If so, what does it take to do so?
4. Is it necessary?
5. If removed, is there any drawbacks?

Im trying to lighten up the car and I was just looking around the engine bay and noticed the powersteering cooler and wondered if I really needed it. A friend of mine has a Trans Am (non WS-6) and he just has a 1 piece hose instead of 2 in which the cooler goes in between. My car doesnt see much street use anyways and when it does, its mainly on weekends to local meet ups. Other than that, most of its use is on the strip. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. to cool PS fluid that is being heated in the reservoir.

2. Dunno

3. You need an upper radiator hose and a LP PS hose that goes from the rack to the reservoir.

I have both ... I will send you the replacement parts if you send me the cooler, the shroud clip and the 2 hoses that connect it to the rack and the reservoir.

4. your friend's TA doesn't have it, so obviously not

5. None really, if you don't AX or RR ....
Old 06-08-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. To cool the power steering fluid
2. SS/WS6 are cooler cars!
3. Yes, Radiator hose GM#10271554, Steering Pump Hoses GM#26048589, GM#26075068
4. No, cause it didn't come on the base models
5. Yes, may heat powersteering fluid if open-track/auto-X the car.

Damn, and I thought I was going to be in before Mitch, still too slow......
Old 06-08-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Z-28 with a factory cooler. I bought the car new and didn't install it myself, it was on there from the factory.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your car must be a 1LE or special order, then.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Power Steering Cooler, which was standard on SS and WS6, was available as a stand alone option on the Z28, Trans Am and Formula. At least it was by late 99 when they built mine.

I know because my 99 Z28 has one - and I remember it from the option sheet when I was specing out the car, and it's on the window sticker.

It's option code V12.

Mitch you were right about Stoptechs, but I got this one
Old 06-09-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the cooler was std on all cars that came with 17 in wheels due to the larger tire put additional stress on the system, and adds heat to the fluid. The 1LE also got it for autox/RR use. The fluid tends to heat up, esp when subjected to long high RPM events. The big tires also increase the fluid temp. My 315 fronts really heat it up. If it is over heated the 1st thing is that it leaks out the cap, next if it is heated more it can dammage the seals in both the pump and the rack.
P.S. it was also an avail option on all Z28's

Last edited by BillS; 06-09-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mine has 16" wheels. I can only assume that the cooler was optioned on the car. The car is completely loaded, power everything, leather, T-tops. It is not an SS, but it is about everything else. Though I heard that in 2002 all cars got them (clearing old stock?), so I don't know....
Old 06-09-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

My trans am has one and it's not a WS6. It does have the V12 code on the door though.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

V12 ... isn't that the Ferrari option?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
V12 ... isn't that the Ferrari option?
I'd take it....

I'd rather have the Ferrari brakes than a PS cooler if I had my choice.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

V12 and BBS are the "coolest" option codes. Unfortunately they are not Engine and Wheels. But they are pretty swank gear nontheless.

V12 = power steering cooler

BBS = hurst shifter
Old 06-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BillS
If it is over heated the 1st thing is that it leaks out the cap,
I have an SS with the PS cooler, and it still leaks out the cap sometimes when I autox. With as many people that have went through PS pumps with these cars, two things you want are the PS cooler and an underdrive pully to spin the pump slower.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:02 PM
9 Second Club NA

Wow, I didnt know it would go this deep, but what the heck, I learned something from it. Anyway, the main purpose of me making this thread was to find out if I could remove it and if I would be putting the system in any kind of harm. I dont do any autocross or road racing, just drag. I hardly drive the car on the street, just to local meet ups if the weather is good and the car is rolling. So if I was to remove the cooler, than I would need to get the 1 piece hose and the lines for the resevoir and rack. Ok I have a visual what has to be done for the cooler, but I cant seem to picture what needs to be done to the 2 lines on the bottom side of the cooler. Anyone have pics?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is one line that runs from the rack to the inlet of the PS cooler. A second line exits the cooler and attaches to the reservoir.

A SINGLE line replaces those 2 lines, attaching the rack to the reservoir.

Again, I have that line and the upper radiator hose. Wanna trade?

John, I like my V12 code ...
Old 06-09-2004, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok, you say that there is a single line that replaces both of those lines, but there are 2 fittings/lines on the rack. Does that single line screw into both the threads in the rack? I know what it looks like the way it is because its on my car, but I need a visual/pic in which it would look like without the cooler.

mitchntx: Sending you a PM on the trade.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude ... you have a HIGH pressure line feeding the rack from the pump and a LOW pressure return line.

The cooler fits in series with the return line ... MAKING 2 LINES NECESSARY FOR THE COOLER. How do you think the cooler cools the fluid? It has to circulate.

Try jacking up your car and tracing lines ...
Old 06-13-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Your car must be a 1LE or special order, then.

Nope....I have a basic 01 Z28 also. It was sitting on the lot and it came with the PS cooler from the factory. It had basic springs/shocks/sway bars and had 16" rims (so the 17" rim idea is not a blanket cover). Sometimes GM just "tacks on extras" to make a few more $$$s (mine also had the steering wheel controls, Hurst shifter, and T-tops)

The power steering cooler is a good option from the standpoint that even in a daily driver the fluid gets HOT!!!!!! Any time you can keep something cool it helps prolong the life of parts.

Do you NEED it......probably not. There are a lot of cars running around without one. Do I think its dumb to be removing it "just cause"...I would say so. The weight you save will be very small in the overall picture (you have A LOT of other "weight removal mods" that I would do before I did this one) but to each his own.

As a side note, I think the only good thing about the Hurst shifter (BBS) option is getting the shift **** (the Hurst "H" **** is ). I hated the damn shiter...too spungy and long. Within a month I had tossed the "shifter" it in the trash and put the **** on my cut down Pro 5.0.

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 06-13-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

As a side note, I think the only good thing about the Hurst shifter (BBS) option is getting the shift **** (the Hurst "H" **** is ). I hated the damn shiter...too spungy and long. Within a month I had tossed the "shifter" it in the trash and put the **** on my cut down Pro 5.0.

I hated that ****, it left with the shifter. On a hot day it would "spin" and not stay tight, I used a black Hurst "eight ball" shifter with the 6 speed pattern on it. That **** has a jam nut and will not spin, much better than that leather "H" ****. My opionion at least....
Old 06-13-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I like the shifter, some of us like a longer throw for leverage and some rubber in the mechanism to kill NVH.

I what I REALLY like the are bragging rights. I've always been a fan of heavily optioned muscle cars, that have the biggest engine but also every option on the sheet. The factory installed Hurst is a link to that era, and the Hurst Oldsmobiles and what not. So I was thrilled to pick up a brand new Camaro before they quit making them, with every option save 3: SS (Z28 without the SS package has cleaner lines to my eye), Sport Apperance Package(again, the cleaner lines thing), and Engine Block heater(Texas, no where to plug it in here).

Quick Reply: Questions pertaining the powersteering cooler.