Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear shocks/springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear shocks/springs

I am about to embark on a winter project where I will refresh/upgrade my suspension. I have on hand some Koni STR.Ts and Strano springs. I am about to order new shock mounts, bushings, etc for the front end. I won't be doing bushings in the rear end at this point however I am wondering if I need to order any sort of shock mount, isolators, or whatever for the shock/springs in the back. I just want to make sure I have a complete list for the rear shocks/springs area before I go ordering my parts next month. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, rear is simple as cheese. That shock comes with all the mounting bushings and hardware I believe. Pull back your interior and loosen both top shock nuts but don't take the nuts off yet. Chock front wheels, jack up your rear (loosen lug nuts before it's in the air, don't be like me...) Place jackstands under subframes. Take wheels off, take off both sway bar endlinks, you could jack up the rear by the diff to take some pressure off the endlinks but it's not necessary, the endlinks will just go flying when you loosen them up all the way if you don't jack the rear end up some. Place jack under the axle on the side that you're going to do first and get your jack snug against the axle tube!!! The side that you have your jack under, take off the top shock nut, then take off the bottom mounting nut. Lower your jack until your shock flops out, get that outta there. Keep lowering until your spring is free (keep an eye on your brake flex hoses to make sure they're not strained at all.) Take your spring out and put in the new. Make sure the top is seated within the rubber isolator groove correctly and that it doesn't move when you continue to put on your spring, or else one side of your car might by higher than the other. Also make sure the bottom of your springs, or pigtails, are both facing the passenger's side of your car. That's what I did anyway and it lowered both sides of my car pretty evenly between both sides. Put the right bushings and hardware on your shock shaft and feed it through the hole in the back of your car and get the bottom bolt through the hole and tighten away. Do other side and enjoy!

This is if you do it by yourself with only a small jack, a lift should be much easier and faster. I did it by myself with a jack and it took ~3 hours from the time I pulled it in the garage to the time I got back in for a test drive.

The stock endlinks snap depending on age and mileage, keep that in the back of you mind if you would need to replace those as well. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The Koni STR.T shocks will come with everything you need for your install. It is a straight forward install when in it comes to doing the rear springs/shocks.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Rear shocks/springs