Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rear end?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New rear end?

Last week, the welds that hold the axle tubes to the center housing sheared on my 10 bolt. I found another housing pretty quickly and ordered Ford style axle ends from Moser. The idea is to transfer over the guts of my old housing (eaton truetrac, 30 spline moser bolt-in axles, 3.42 gears) after beefing up the "new" housing.

I am at a point where I have not spent much on this particular repair and am weighing the merits of buying a 9 inch axle assembly instead. The car is road raced a lot, so the idea of dropping a little unsprung weight is appealing (aluminum center section, stamped or fabbed housing, etc).

If you've been through such a swap, how did it go for you? 4th gen fbody guys, did you have any isues getting your brakes to fit?

Vendors, what are your options or suggestions? If it matters any, the car has hyper coils composite rear leafs and a fays2 watts link.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What rearend does the car have in it now? We numerous fab 9's in road race cars with zero complaints or issues give us a call when you get time and we can go over the all options with you to make sure you are getting exactly what you need.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

8.5 inch 10 bolt with Moser ford-style bolt in axles and 4th gen fbody rear disc brakes.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the weight of aftermarket rears vs the '70s Monza based 10 bolt is blown out of proportion. The additional 70 lbs a S60 weighs is no more than the difference of a full tank of gas to 1/4 tank. I'm no road racer but I have autocrossed my car and the rear felt well planted and gave no indication that a Dana 60 was back there. A 9" built to weigh as much the 10 bolt will be one of the most expensive options.
Edit, just realized what I wrote doesn't completely apply to your 2nd gen regarding the 7.5 10 bolt.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We will have no issues building a super light 9" rear to work for your setup. A Strange HD Pro thru-bolt aluminum case with the street type oiling system will work great, and couple up with the diff unit of your choice.

The MWC fabricated rearend is a great choice for roadcourse and autocross cars as it will be among the lightest and strongest setups you can get. I would say an easy 30 pound reduction could be in store for this application.

Your leaf spring suspension and brakes will be a direct fit as well.

Give us a call and we will be happy to go over your needs and figure out a cost. I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how affordable it can be!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New rear end?