Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wilwood rear brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wilwood rear brake kit

hey guys i was wondering if this brake kit will work for my 02 ss camaro? I just purchased a ford 9" for a street/ strip build im doing and I want to upgrade the brakes but I need to know what wheels will fit and wheels will not. I have these wheels on the car right now http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...Wheels-Black_3

will these brakes clear
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wi...t/model/camaro

thanks guys
Old 09-30-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Youll have no issue clearing that setup. However, whats your goal? Strange has a setup for about half that price, with what looks to be identical calipers but lighter rotors. I just installed a set on my car. Heres some info:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...cs-vids-9.html
Old 09-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Youll have no issue clearing that setup. However, whats your goal? Strange has a setup for about half that price, with what looks to be identical calipers but lighter rotors. I just installed a set on my car. Heres some info:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...cs-vids-9.html
thanks man...my goal on brakes is getting something a little bigger but much better than stock and be happy with what I put on the car. I want it to function great but also look good as well. Now I just need to see if the wilwoods will fit up front. the company im buying the rear from stated they would give me a better price on the brakes so thats helping as well
Old 09-30-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigz28man
thanks man...my goal on brakes is getting something a little bigger but much better than stock and be happy with what I put on the car. I want it to function great but also look good as well. Now I just need to see if the wilwoods will fit up front. the company im buying the rear from stated they would give me a better price on the brakes so thats helping as well
You might want to do some research.
Too much rear brake on these cars will cause axle hop under heavy braking. The road race guys usually run a stock like brake pad with good blank rotors in the rear, and a good blank front rotor with aggressive pads (upgraded calipers in the front to prevent spread the stock ones can have).
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bigz28man
By goals I meant do you wanna daily drive, road course, or drag race the car? The wilwood setup looks like a nice compromise. My strange setup could be dailied with care, definitely weekend duty, but there is no denying its a drag race setup. On the front, you cannot go to a spindle bearing, you must keep the stock wheel hub to run stock wheels. My thread above shows why just go back a page or two.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those will certainly look cool, but they are waaaay overkill for road race and may even lead to lock up or wheel hop problems on the track. I personally wouldn't bother with anything larger than 4th gen LS1 stock rears. "Much better than stock" can easily be accomplished with pads and calipers only, but you'll likely only need pads for back. Fronts are where you need to focus *if* performance is the primary goal.

Now, if you're going for looks and want rotors that fill up the wheels, then yeah, by all means look at getting the bigger nicer looking brakes. I'd do some research first though, before picking something. If you look at my thread, you'll see what a 330mm slotted rotor looks like inside a 17" SS Wheel (C6 Z51 front brakes)

Last edited by 1981TA; 09-30-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys for all the info. I'll continue to research and eventually go in some direction

Quick Reply: wilwood rear brake kit