Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me complete my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015 | 10:35 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Default Help me complete my suspension

Right now the car is lowered and I feel every bump in the road. I'm wanting to improve ride comfort while still being able to cut good 60 fts. I don't auto cross the car, but I would like for it to have improved street manners. Here's what's currently on it:

BMR Weld in SubFrame Connectors SFC001
Spohn Rear Lower control arms #201
Spohn Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets #210-S
Spohn drag sway bar #921
Spohn adjustable torque arm TAR-4
Spohn torque arm rear mounting hardware kit 114-982
Spohn Torque Arm Front Crossmember safety loop 405XM
Adjustable Spohn Panhard bar #104
Poly motor mounts energy suspension 3.115G

I want to do an aftermarket UMI k-member setup with upper and lower A-arms but not sure which spring/strut combo I should go with. QA-1, Koni, coil overs? What spring rates?

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 05-13-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2015 | 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Right now the car is lowered and I feel every bump in the road. I'm wanting to improve ride comfort while still being able to cut good 60 fts. I don't auto cross the car, but I would like for it to have improved street manners. Here's what's currently on it:

Eibach lowering springs 870.001 and 3870.002
Bilstein shocks and struts F4-B46-1914-M0 and F4-B46-2071-M0
BMR Weld in SubFrame Connectors SFC001
Spohn Rear Lower control arms #201
Spohn Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets #210-S
Spohn drag sway bar #921
Spohn adjustable torque arm TAR-4
Spohn torque arm rear mounting hardware kit 114-982
Spohn Torque Arm Front Crossmember safety loop 405XM
Adjustable Spohn Panhard bar #104
Poly motor mounts energy suspension 3.115G

I want to do an aftermarket UMI k-member setup with upper and lower A-arms but not sure which spring/strut combo I should go with. QA-1, Koni, coil overs? What spring rates?
Thanks for looking at the UMI components, we would be glad to help you!

Since it seems you are mostly looking for improved ride with some performance gains I would suggest SLP Bilsteins and Strano springs. The Koni's are awesome too but more expensive. The coilover setups do give you height adjustment but with no autocrossing I don't think you would use the shock adjustment to its full ability.

Check out Sam's site and look at those few things. Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2015 | 09:24 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Ryan, thanks for replying.

I was thinking your FBS 002 k-member kit along with the strano SP141 springs and koni single adjustable yellows KON-82411139 and KON-82411140, because people are still cutting 1.6 60 ft times with the koni yellow/strano spring setup. Is that k-member kit for turbo application also? (no plans for turbo atm, but who knows in the future)

I don't know if my eibach pro kit is sagging or what, but it's such a big drop that the bottom of my cutout on the Y pipe is only 2.5 inches off the ground and the ride quality is a bit rougher than what I care for. How much less of a drop are the SP141 springs over the eibach prokit?

The SLP bilsteins are $400 cheaper for the package of all 4, but they don't have any adjustability. Do you think they would be as comfortable on the street as the koni's, while still being able to cut the same 60 ft times as the koni yellows?

Also your UMI Strut tower brace part #2005 caught my eye. Seems like a no brainer upgrade for only $80

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 10-17-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2015 | 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Ryan, thanks for replying.

I was thinking your FBS 002 kmember kit along with the strano SP141 springs and koni single adjustable yellows KON-82411139 and KON-82411140, because people are still cutting 1.6 60 ft times with the koni yellow/strano spring setup.

I don't know if my eibach pro kit is sagging or what, but it's such a big drop that the bottom of my cutout on the Y pipe is only 2.5 inches off the ground and the ride quality is a bit rougher than what I care for. How much less of a drop are the SP141 springs over the eibach prokit?
That would be a pretty killer set up.

The Eibachs have been known to sag, their rates are also a little light which doesn't help the ride or performance.
Old 10-17-2015 | 09:56 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
That would be a pretty killer set up.

The Eibachs have been known to sag, their rates are also a little light which doesn't help the ride or performance.
Now I'm reading that the recommendation is stranos up front with koni yellows and BMR in back with koni yellows because the BMR rears match up better with that particular shock LOL!?! Any truth to this?
Old 10-19-2015 | 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

Now I'm reading that the recommendation is stranos up front with koni yellows and BMR in back with koni yellows because the BMR rears match up better with that particular shock LOL!?! Any truth to this?
I would say there is no truth to that at all. The BMR and Strano springs have basically the same rate, with in 10lbs. Strano springs are built by a the well known spring company, Hyperco. Hyperco builds some of the best springs in the business. I believe Hyperco is the better spring manufacturer.

I hope that helps

Quick Reply: Help me complete my suspension