Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tunnel Brace Too?

Old 06-10-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tunnel Brace Too?

Hey guys, I'm going to be picking up some BMR stuff from one of our sponsors, and had a question..... If I get the tubular SFC's, is there much of a reduction in usefullness vs the boxed? Also, if you follow the link, they are selling STB's for like $90 bucks if you're interested. But my main reason for posting, is I noticed something called a "tunnel brace," Is this worth it, or something only drag racing cars would ever need?

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ies%3A+Chassis

Thanks as always.

Cheers.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the LG motorsports drive shaft loop (or any other driveshaft loop) instead. That tunnel brace hangs way down and many people who own it have removed them and tossed them in the garage after hitting them on every speed bump in town.

My thoughts.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Launching!

BTW, the Camaro already has a tunnel brace, it's just a flimsy piece of stamped steel and doesn't do much good to stiffen the chassis. In fact some people have removed the tunnel brace and not missed it, so aside from having the added safety of a driveshaft loop (which is a good thing) I wouldn't get too excited about buying an aftermarket tunnel brace.

As for your other question; tubular SFC's are just fine. Either SFC design will be a noticeable improvement in chassis stiffness.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I agree also, go with the DSL, it will serve both as a tunnel brace and a safety loop. Also buy the link you have they priced the same.

As for subs, I have the boxed style and love them. Many have the tubular and like them just as much. Either will do great
Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay guys, thanks for the tips. That'll be $100 bucks I don't need to spend today. Thanks also for the tips on the SFC's. I didn't want to throw money away on the tubular type, but was unsure if the boxed would stick down too far. Now I can just get the tubular, and call it a day. If memory serves...., they're cheaper anyway.

Cheers.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, the BMR tunnel brace is the biggest peice of crap they have made. It hangs really low and really isn't necessary. I took of my stock one to clear the exhaust and havent noticed any loss in handling. Plus it's an extra pound or two you can remove for a little weight reduction. Hell, if you still want one, I can make you one for $25-$30, and it will probably work better
Old 06-12-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Yep, the BMR tunnel brace is the biggest peice of crap they have made. It hangs really low and really isn't necessary. I took of my stock one to clear the exhaust and havent noticed any loss in handling. Plus it's an extra pound or two you can remove for a little weight reduction. Hell, if you still want one, I can make you one for $25-$30, and it will probably work better
Yes spohn has one too that hangs just as low, I just assume for the money get the loop. It will serve 2 purposes that way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tunnel Brace Too?