Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the info.

Is that is a UMI brace or a BMR? It looks like 1-1/2" tubing and that is what BMR uses on their CM version. Just a thought as that would make it harder to clear. But good info!

Originally Posted by Pacho
UMI, I want to give you a heads up that it is possible to modify your STB to fit over a FAST 102 and still be able to close the hood.

2000 Transam WS6 with stock ram air hood.
Took almost all weekend with constant trial and error and grinding for Strano's Master cylinder brace but it is done and it does in fact work.

*Looks like this mod ONLY works for Ws6 ram air hoods which have extra clearance in the stb area.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Pacho
Lol, this bar is indeed a BMR Xtreme Mild Steel 1 5/8". A while back I put UMI Performance stickers on my suspension parts before you guys started to when you sent products to customers, simply because the stickers look bada$$.

Besides the BMR STB, MWC k member, and strano sway bars, I'm a loyal UMI customer for life due to great customer service. Here's a shot of the new front suspension being worked on right now all courtesy of UMI.

But you're right, if 1 5/8" can clear with room, then a 1 1/4" STB will have even more clearance. I'll link up a HOW-TO if I ever get one done.
I thought maybe it wasn't a UMI

Good info though, and yes a 1-1/4" might give the Camaro and non-WS6 hoods the clearance they need.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thread.
Curious for images of installed rear coilovers...
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any plans for a harness bar?
Old 11-05-2017, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Suggestion:

with K-member installed, steering rack and brake lines are exposed to loose stuff/junk on road/highway...

some kind of deflector plate that bolts on under the steering rack, and extends forward just enough to protect the steering rack, would deflect road junk under (away from) the rack and K-member...

would also have means to secure/protect brake lines (other than zipties);

deflector plate could be fairly simple, have holes to make it lighter and look sexy, finished to match K-member.

Please/Thanks

Old 11-06-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
Any plans for a harness bar?
Good suggestion. I'd like to see one from a company that can sustain the manufacturing/sales of them AND knows how to properly build one so it is legal.

Last one I knew that was worth getting was Gen4Racing. Made a slick bolt in one. All the ones offered today are **** IMO.

No:

Yes:
Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Good suggestion. I'd like to see one from a company that can sustain the manufacturing/sales of them AND knows how to properly build one so it is legal.

Last one I knew that was worth getting was Gen4Racing. Made a slick bolt in one. All the ones offered today are **** IMO.

No:

Yes:
does that bottom one bolt to the seat belt mounting bolts in the back?
Old 11-07-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

No, it does require drilling holes through the rear fender where the rear shock pocket is. But as you can see it retains the back seat, if some care about that.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I'd love a setup like the Gen4 layout. Easily removed as well.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

UMI do itttt do ittt!

You know 4th Gens are going to make a come back and currently no one offers a proper bolt in harness bar. Gives you another niche product
Old 11-08-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

in for harness bar as well, its either that or go 6point
Old 11-08-2017, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hawks just released one
http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/93-0...-powdercoated/
Old 11-08-2017, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

My approach:

Measuring how tall to make the bar to have proper strap angle.

Bolted to rear seatbelt anchors in the car:

Old bar vs new bar.

I need to redo the gusset legs and go back to rear shock pocket. I know the setup now is only on stamped sheetmetal. Bolted to rear seatbelt anchors.

Not a fan how far back the Hawks bar is...I think there is also a rule how much slack you can have from the back of the seat to the bar mounting point...along with proper angle of the belts.

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-08-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no expert but that hawks bar look too low in their pics. When they are too low, spinal compression may be an issue along with the bar looking like it's too far away from the seats. My harnesses are the style that need to wrap around the bar individually anyways, so the hawks wouldn't work for me I would guess.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

yeah that hawks bar looks way over complicated and does not setup the harnesses at a good angle. it is also way too big and is an eye sore imo, I wouldn't want something like that in my car. all that is needed is something clean and simple that bolts in like what smitty his showed above
Old 02-02-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Here's a few pictures of Jerry's 4th gen at the Midwest Muscle Car Challenge this past weekend. The Midwest Muscle Challenge is a two day event, one full day spent on Putnam road course and one full day of autocross. The timing equipment for Putnam was down all day so we never ended up with actual track times. However the road course allowed us to continue to work with our new set up and see how it worked, we are very pleased.

On the autocross it was actually the first time Jerry drove his own car on a small track with the newest suspension changes (I personally have been driving). Jerry was amazed on the new turn in of the car and how the front end stuck, it is now point and go. We only got a few laps on Saturday, the first part of the morning was replacing the starter that didn't make it through the event.

Overall we are very pleased with our latest developments and what Sam Strano has done for tuning in the shocks. We feel we have an extremely competitive package with awesome street manners and budget friendly.

That wheel combo is about as perfect as I've seen as far as size goes. Is it true that sam won't tell people the specs? Not sure if I blame him. Not a fan of the wheel looks wise but that things sits **** perfect and obviously performs.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

No, it's not true. Anyone who BUYS wheels from me knows what they are getting. But it is true that I am not keen on telling the world so they can copy it. And what's more, they are custom, UMI's are a bit different than the ones on my car due to other setup details that differ. These are things I consider when building wheels, and another reason why I don't just tell someone "specs".

The CF5 5 spoke is also an option here, not just F14's.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-02-2018, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

I see on FB UMI is releasing a new upper control arm mount that replaces the OEM mount which rusts. I think a coil over version is coming first then a OEM strut style is coming second. It has built in adjustment holes to change the upper control arm mounting locations.

In my quest for eliminating bushings on my car, these have been aded to the mental "to buy" list.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Hello All,

Sorry for the lack of updates. We have a new website in the works and our photo system got an update so I haven't been able to learn our new system yet which means it's been harder to generate photos on here. However we are working on that and will get this updated shortly.

We do have some cool new stuff in the works, one as mentioned is the new upper front a-arm mounts. The new upper a-arm mounts will have the ability to change roll center and will be available as coilover or factory shock mount.

Oh and a lot of our focus has been on our new product test track have you guys seen it yet? Below are some links to check it out!

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/1...sports-events/

Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/umimotorsportspark/
Old 02-08-2018, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
That wheel combo is about as perfect as I've seen as far as size goes. Is it true that sam won't tell people the specs? Not sure if I blame him. Not a fan of the wheel looks wise but that things sits **** perfect and obviously performs.
I am absolutely in love with that wheel/tire combo.

I will definitely be talking to Sam about this setup. I've bought stuff from Sam for years and IMO is one of the best if not the best in his field.

I deal with a lot of companies at work and by far Sam and UMI are at the top of the list.

Any idea how big the wheel/tire is on the back of that thing? I'm not fishing for backspacing or anything like that.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 02-08-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!