Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The new UMI/Strano/Afco shocks are working pretty darn well. We have ran two events with them so far and we are extremely pleased. All the riders have been very impressed. We have let some pro drivers drive the car as well with all positive reviews.

Here's a few pictures from the Summit Racing Atlanta Motorama autocross. The car was also in the Cruisin the Smokies autocross last weekend but no pictures yet, hopefully soon. Next it is headed to Putnam Park for the road course at the Midwest Muscle Car Challenge.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW! Right to the very edge on the clearance between the front fender and tire.

This still on a panhard setup?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WarShrike
This still on a panhard setup?
My guess is yes, until they develop their own Watts Link (which I plan on buying, hint; PLEASE develop this part next after you perfect the coil overs!).

That wheel/tire set up is PERFECTION!!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Saw a really cool turnbuckle design on another platform's watts link. Fast adjustment and almost infinitely tunable compared to the limited setups right now with set holes.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 AM
FormerVendor

Correct. We are still on the rear panhard bar set up but a watts link is in the near future. Our main focus is working with our new shock set up and the front end. Watts is next.

The tires and wheels fit awesome. We had one extremely tight left hand turn where the suspension loaded the passenger tire when it was at full turn in and the tire just rubbed. Other than that no issues, Sam has the sizes spec'd out perfect. We ran a little more camber at the last event and the tire tucked up in nicer.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

We got some time to get the Camaro to Jake at Domin8 Tuning located in Freedom, PA for a dyno tune. Evey thing worked out good on the car and we ended up with 450HP and 440 torque at 6200 rpm.

The current engine set up is a 383 with a rotating assembly and Comp Cam from Texas Speed along with a set of AFR Mongoose heads with a Fast 90 intake.

The next step before the Midwest Muscle Car Challenge is to drop the transmission quick, the clutch feels like it is hanging up at times so we need to inspect the throw out bearing. We are hoping it's a simple fix...

Old 05-10-2016, 03:03 PM
FormerVendor

We narrowed it down to the throw out bearing hanging up and not engaging and disengaging properly. So we got a new Tilton from Bowler Transmission and trying that to see if it cures the clutch issues.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread alone has made me completely change my plans for the camaro i just picked up. I will be eagerly awaiting your new control arms, coilovers, and revised k-member! I'm going to get back into road racing/autox. hoping the claimed caster/camber specs can truly be achieved! Do you guys have an ETA?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ec_nova
this thread alone has made me completely change my plans for the camaro i just picked up. I will be eagerly awaiting your new control arms, coilovers, and revised k-member! I'm going to get back into road racing/autox. hoping the claimed caster/camber specs can truly be achieved! Do you guys have an ETA?
Awesome, glad to hear!

The new UMI coilover kit will be on our site today and kits will be shipping in 7-10 days. The a-arms and some k-member changes are still in the works, the event/race season kind of slows that down a little. We will keep updating this thread as we make progress.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 05-11-2016, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get how you got those rear tires not to rub. Mine rub like hell with the 315/30/18 Rival S on the rear during autocross!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by qwikz28
I don't get how you got those rear tires not to rub. Mine rub like hell with the 315/30/18 Rival S on the rear during autocross!
Sam Strano has the offset down I think. Honestly we have a 1/2" or more room until it rubs the inner fender, we are able to run factory style bump stops with no issues or hanging up. We do have the rear fenders rolled so that is helping some I am sure. Last year we ran 295's on C6 wheels and had rubbing issues with those.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Are you guys willing to reveal your offsets?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

How will these new coil overs be for street use? Are they primarily designed for road course/autox?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

Are you guys willing to reveal your offsets?
To be honest I don't remember them. Sam won't give them away but you can order wheels through him

Originally Posted by BrittleSpeed
How will these new coil overs be for street use? Are they primarily designed for road course/autox?
These are very streetable and comfortable, actually a lot more comfort and nice driving feel than you would think. When we took the car in to get it tuned the tuner took it for a ride and said he expected it to feel like a train but was extremely surprised at how well it felt on street driving. We are happy with it, very happy.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Good to know, I hadn't decided if I will run Ride Tech or the UMIs just yet. Won't be until next year since my wife is getting perturbed on my spending habits with this car lol I'll keep an eye on them for sure!
Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
To be honest I don't remember them. Sam won't give them away but you can order wheels through him
Funny you say that. I bought 18x11 Forgestar CF5 two years ago directly from Forgestar. The process was a nightmare and dealing with the manufacturer was terrible. Long story short, if I knew I could order through Sam, I absolutely would have. I probably won't buy Forgestar wheels again, though.

I think mine are +44mm offset, but I think a couple mm less positive offset would have been best. The rear, especially, rubs on hard turns. I have thicker sway bars going in and will pound the wells a bit too.

I hope this odd rant helps someone down the line.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BrittleSpeed
Good to know, I hadn't decided if I will run Ride Tech or the UMIs just yet. Won't be until next year since my wife is getting perturbed on my spending habits with this car lol I'll keep an eye on them for sure!
We will have a lot more results by then as well so be sure to check back.

Funny you say that. I bought 18x11 Forgestar CF5 two years ago directly from Forgestar. The process was a nightmare and dealing with the manufacturer was terrible. Long story short, if I knew I could order through Sam, I absolutely would have. I probably won't buy Forgestar wheels again, though.

I think mine are +44mm offset, but I think a couple mm less positive offset would have been best. The rear, especially, rubs on hard turns. I have thicker sway bars going in and will pound the wells a bit too.

Exactly. That is why we let Sam do all that for us
Old 05-12-2016, 03:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You didn't ask.... I have two sets for my car. And well any issue with offset if due to someone not knowing the car specifically. But a 315 is a hard fit and I can't say it won't ever rub anything, ever.

I sell a LOT of Forgestars. Never any issue that wasn't easily resolved, and only two in total period. No, I won't give away the offsets. Tired of doing work for others to copy. but yes, I can get the wheels for anyone else down the line.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-12-2016, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You didn't ask.... I have two sets for my car. And well any issue with offset if due to someone not knowing the car specifically. But a 315 is a hard fit and I can't say it won't ever rub anything, ever.

I sell a LOT of Forgestars. Never any issue that wasn't easily resolved, and only two in total period. No, I won't give away the offsets. Tired of doing work for others to copy. but yes, I can get the wheels for anyone else down the line.
Always a pleasure, Sam.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
No, I won't give away the offsets. Tired of doing work for others to copy. but yes, I can get the wheels for anyone else down the line.
R&D = Read and Duplicate

Yall and Vorshlag are ones I've seen with f-body offsets that are pretty much spot on. Which is what would be expected from top level shops anyway.

I'm guessing a watts link will help cut out some of that rubbing under any load anyway, correct?

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!