Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone wanted to run the same EXACT wheels that are on the UMI car, but with 295/35-18s instead of the 315s, would they still need inner fender pounding, outer fender rolling, or would they work on totally stock/'un-massaged' fenders??
Old 05-15-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

They make a nice .45 CAL ACP round, low dusting and VERY effective
Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
If someone wanted to run the same EXACT wheels that are on the UMI car, but with 295/35-18s instead of the 315s, would they still need inner fender pounding, outer fender rolling, or would they work on totally stock/'un-massaged' fenders??
You could give Sam a call. He may adjust the offset some to accommodate the 295 and better center the wheel. However I would just keep in mind that anytime you run a larger tire rubbing may occur and you should be prepared to make adjustments. Spacers, fender rolling, pounding ect.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
Always a pleasure, Sam.
Sarcasm won't get you anywhere with me. And I bust my *** to make things work, which is... in fact.... WORK. Everyone else with a job gets paid for their work. I bet you do too.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We are heading to Putnam Park for the Midwest Musclecar Challenge on Friday. Then to the Terra Haute airport for auto-x on Saturday. We will of course have the '99 with the UMI Strano kit installed. It has performed very well at Summit Atlanta and Cruisin' The Smokies so far this season.

The road course at Putnam should be a blast as much of our testing was done at 1xx mph with Sam.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Sarcasm won't get you anywhere with me. And I bust my *** to make things work, which is... in fact.... WORK. Everyone else with a job gets paid for their work. I bet you do too.
"Cant we all get along?"
Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quick report from the '99 Camaro running at the Midwest Musclecar Challenge this weekend. Timing was inoperative at the road course. Jerry ran the Camaro in traffic and also some clean laps with no trouble to report. The car was stable and fast. We did some minor rebound tuning and also tried a few sessions with the rear bar unhooked.

For the auto-x we hooked the sway bar back up and went for it. Jerry's times improved incrementally throughout the day and only small changes were required.

Sam hit the tuning window just about perfectly as we had adjustment in the middle of the range right where we needed it.

We are looking forward to more racing coming up and can't wait to get some sets out to you in the audience.

-- Ramey
Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Here's a few pictures of Jerry's 4th gen at the Midwest Muscle Car Challenge this past weekend. The Midwest Muscle Challenge is a two day event, one full day spent on Putnam road course and one full day of autocross. The timing equipment for Putnam was down all day so we never ended up with actual track times. However the road course allowed us to continue to work with our new set up and see how it worked, we are very pleased.

On the autocross it was actually the first time Jerry drove his own car on a small track with the newest suspension changes (I personally have been driving). Jerry was amazed on the new turn in of the car and how the front end stuck, it is now point and go. We only got a few laps on Saturday, the first part of the morning was replacing the starter that didn't make it through the event.

Overall we are very pleased with our latest developments and what Sam Strano has done for tuning in the shocks. We feel we have an extremely competitive package with awesome street manners and budget friendly.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

^^^That thing looks GREAT with the outside suspension all hunkered down like that!!

It looks like a real, bona-fide race car!!
Old 05-25-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

And people say fat tires in the front look bad on these cars... LOL

Great setup, pretty much the type of car I want to build. Keep up the good work!!
Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Banned

This car just about pulls your fillings out.

The Strano-spec Forgestars and 315 Rival S's made a huge difference.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Banned

Some news.

We have a prototype lowering and leveling kit on the UMI Jerry Camaro panhard bar to provide adjustable roll center height. This helped calm down the 450 rwhp tendency to oversteer on corner exit throttle and kept the back end tucked in nicely.

This kit combined with the Strano dampers ran STRONG at the Summit Norwalk event. Below is Nathan Popp showing what he thinks of the UMI kit.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Oh great, now everyone has to worry about a SECOND Popp kicking their azzes around the cones and curbing!!!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

^^He is coming up FAST. He races with us locally in a A Street C5Z with shocks/wheels/tires. He can wheel that thing pretty damn well. He has the best teacher anyone can ask for lol
Old 06-07-2016, 08:41 AM
FormerVendor

Both Danny and his son Nathan drove the car and both really liked it, I think they were both pleasantly surprised and didn't expect to feel what they did. They gave it a 9 out of 10 and were both impressed. It is nice to have pro drivers like Sam Strano, Brian Finch and Danny Popp all liking the car. Sam's shock valving design seems to paying off as well as his other changes to the car, he must know his stuff?

Now we are working on tuning up the roll center of the car. Similar to watts link but at a lower cost to build and more importantly to us right now is a quicker easier fix for the car the next event. We noticed immediate lateral grip when throttling out of a turn with the lowered roll center. This should soon be a affordable kit to work with your current panhard bar set up. Stay tuned.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Straight up hyped to get my coilovers!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad to see you guys making a kit to lower the PHR. From a cost/benefit it simply can not be beat.

Drop that thing 4 inches and get some more spring under the car. Then it will be 10/10.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Straight up hyped to get my coilovers!
Thanks for the order sir!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Here's a few pictures of our latest prototype items.

**Please notes item are prototypes and changes will and may occur before production.

Adjustable front lower a-arms. The ball joint is move forward and you also have the option of adjusting the a-arm on the car for additional caster. We are working on tuning our upper a-arm to work together with this to prevent moving the spindle pin while changing adding caster. This is our first prototype set, our next set we will move the adjustable arm closer to the ball joint for more support but we are going to run these next weekend at the Carlisle GM Nationals autocross and UMI ride along program.

Here is also a few pictures of the roll center adjustment. We currently lowered the roll center approximately 3" on our 4th gen and have the ability to go lower. We have ran one event on the kit, we are tweaking it now and running a second event next weekend. We will be running the events with the brackets only bolted to see if we get movement. 200TW tires and a track might require some tack welds for extra insurance.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

How I feel, looking at these coilovers right now. Coilovers and an aftermarket ECU are the next on the list so I can say goodbye to HPTuners and the limits of the stock PCM.

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!-jwhh1x5.png

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!