Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't drag race so I'm really just looking for better handling on the street. I have a front set of koni str and got to wondering if a coilover setup would be better.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

"Coil overs" aren't magic. They are still dampers and springs. Just with the addition of ride height adjustment. A crappy shock that's coil-over is still a crappy shock.

Now, here's the thing. Everyone says they want "better handling" and that's the vague part because it's a matter of how much better you want things to be. A little? A lot? How do I tell what amount you seek? Getting cheap on dampers is never a great plan IMHO. And for those looking for cheap, we have options there like the Viking and QA1 stuff.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-28-2016, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first time Jerry brought the '99 back from its maiden voyage on UMI Strano's he said, "wow, this rides better than ever." On a side note, it's bad fast on the track.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kicksZ28
I don't drag race so I'm really just looking for better handling on the street. I have a front set of koni str and got to wondering if a coilover setup would be better.
Hello, Thanks for watching our thread and showing interest in our product. As you can see there is a lot of people here that are willing to help and give you some advice.

The UMI/Strano/Afco kit will make your car and feel pretty awesome, that is what it is designed to do and we have gotten great results as well as great feedback on it. This kit is a little more on the expensive side so if you are looking for a little more budget friendly we have great luck with the Viking kits when the right spring rates are chosen. The Viking kit can make the car feel very well on the street as well.

Let us know if you would like to discuss more and we are all glad to help.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 10-22-2016, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 862 Likes on 658 Posts

I hope the Afco's work out for you. I know in the Miata world, they had issues with leaks and wearing out prematurely.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I hope the Afco's work out for you. I know in the Miata world, they had issues with leaks and wearing out prematurely.
We've beat these senseless this year on hundreds of auto-x laps and a bunch of road course sessions. So far so good. Bone dry seals and no glitches whatsoever.

-- Ramey
Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Having a proper damper in use helps. One of a few reasons I kind of demanded we go mono-tube on these.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pacho
Ramey, how is the phb leveling kit coming along?
Drawings are done, parts in production. Hopefully releasing soon.

We had one on the Camaro this weekend at Good Guys and it worked nicely.

ramey
Old 10-28-2016, 05:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Of course, the above goes without saying!

I was just curious if YOU were going to spec/supply (with each individual kit/set up) different bump stop rates depending upon spring/damper rates, that's all.
No. No reason for that.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:28 PM
FormerVendor

Finally, some updates on the panhard bar lowering and leveling kits.

We have two kits we will be offering. First is the full kit that allows roll center adjustment by lowering the panhard bar. This kit includes all brackets and mounts to reinforce the brace and prevent side to side movement. I will post some more details in the next day or so about the installation as I gather it from the crew. It is looking like it will be bolt on with optional welding but recommended. Meaning a street car a-ok, street tires okay, Hoosiers or Rivals will most likely need some welding work to prevent movement.

The 2nd kit is a bracket only and this is designed for customers already running a UMI #2024 panhard bar relocation kit or similar kit of another brand. This will lower the panhard bar and level it. You're changing roll center slightly and preventing the upper and lower bars from contacting each other. Soon our current panhard bar relocation kit will come with this bracket standard.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Nice, I hope you guys can offer the adjustable driver side bracket to those of us who already have bought your relocation kit.
Yes, we plan on offering a kit that is for customer who already have the relocation kit. It will be both driver and passenger side brackets along with the supports that are needed. The brackets much be reinforced to prevent movement. The lower the panhard bar goes the more leverage it has.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

I know I keep posting pictures but no actual release but it's coming soon, bare with me.

Here's a few installation pictures I just took. We were test fitting this kit with a Strange S60 rear end and it will fit but will need us to modify the support strut length, now the Strange 12-bolt might be okay. It will not fit other aftermarket rear ends. In the installation pictures below you will notice the adjustable support strut is lengthened, this is only because this was a short strut we had in stock to make it work on our S60.

Here is kit installed on a car that previously had a UMI #2024 upper panhard bar support and an adjustable panhard bar.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excited to hear more, read reviews, and buy the kit.

What % of the watts link experience/performance would you guys say this panhard bar lowering kit provides?

Thank you
Old 11-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Banned

Ryan, I hope you guys will offer JUST the ADJUSTABLE driver side bracket for those of us running UMI relocation PHB kit-since we already have the passenger side bracket.

The lone bracket, a couple posts up of yours, is not adjustable.

Thanks.
We will indeed be offering the adjustable drivers side bracket and bracing kit as a standalone p/n.

ramey
Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Ryan, I hope you guys will offer JUST the ADJUSTABLE driver side bracket for those of us running UMI relocation PHB kit-since we already have the passenger side bracket.

The lone bracket, a couple posts up of yours, is not adjustable.

Thanks.
As Ramey mentioned we will offer a kit with the adjustable drivers side. In order to run the drivers side in the adjustable version it will need to use the support strut and axle clamp. If you use just the single hole design the bracket only will be okay to use. If you go with the adjustable drivers side we will sell it with the adjustable passenger bar brackets as well. This way you get full benefit of the kit.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dojob
Excited to hear more, read reviews, and buy the kit.

What % of the watts link experience/performance would you guys say this panhard bar lowering kit provides?

Thank you
A Watts Link provides roll center height adjustment and also keeps the rear perfectly centered during compression and rebound travel. The PHB relocation products provide roll center height adjustment.

Watts Links also have passionate supporters so I hesitate to give a %. We do know that having roll center height adjustment is a big deal.

ramey
Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
A Watts Link provides roll center height adjustment and also keeps the rear perfectly centered during compression and rebound travel. The PHB relocation products provide roll center height adjustment.

Watts Links also have passionate supporters so I hesitate to give a %. We do know that having roll center height adjustment is a big deal.

ramey
Fair enough. I appreciate the feedback. I appreciate your time, ramey
Old 11-20-2016, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice kit, i definitely plan on getting it.

where do we set the panhard bar with this kit for best handling? is the point to get the panhard bar level? like parallel with the ground?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

We will have both of these kits posted and available before Thanksgiving.

P/N 2062 is the complete kit as shown above- $299.99

P/N 2064 is the conversion kit, it converts an already purchased panhard bar relocation kit #2024 into the full kit. Should work with BMR and Founders kits too. $209.99.

We are just finalizing the web now.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick Reply: What cool new stuff has UMI been up to? See inside!