Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weight Distribution Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015 | 04:44 PM
Launching!

Question Weight Distribution Question

I'm in the process of selecting rear spring rates for my camaro. Adding a good amount of weight to the back of the car aftermarket audio system, battery relocation etc. Also subtracting some weight, rear seats removed, sparetire jack removed etc.

Here's my main question if I were to be looking at the car from the side and draw a line through the car where does that line need to be to figure out how much weight from that point to the back of the car will need to be calculated for my rear spring rates?

Some examples, line across from in front of rear seats, line across from middle of front seats.

Trying to find the line of where the weight mainly goes to the front end of the car and where the weight mainly goes to the back end, springs, shocks of the car.

I realize a lot of variables are going to effect this, so this is measuring with the car flat/level on the ground for a starting reference.

Please feel free to ask me any questions if I'm confusing anyone.

Thanks

Will be running Viking coil overs on all 4 corners, transverse style for rear.

Last edited by TX98Z28; 12-27-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old 12-27-2015 | 08:26 PM
Launching!

I do not own, nor do I have access to a weight scale to measure all 4 corners of the car with me in it to be the most accurate with selecting rates.

Just trying to figure this out another way as the cars already apart, but I can weigh the parts so trying to get it close. I don't want to have gone with 175 springs for the back when really needed 200, or 225. I'm moving a lot of weight to the back so were clear.

The weight I'm unsure about is from around the middle of the car. Kooks duals, Dampener weight, 2/0 power wire weight, Heavily shielded RCA wire, speaker wire, etc. add up pretty fast if ya'll are following me.

Will post weights of everything but doesn't do much if I don't know where a good estimated dividing line is…

Wish someone with more experience than me with selecting spring rates could help me out thats got close without having access to a scale for their car.

Quick Reply: Weight Distribution Question