Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Painting Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting Suspension

Not sure if this question should be here or in the Paint section. I some of my front suspension torn down and am about to start to remove the rust from the spindle, lower arm, and upper arm. Is there a chemical I can use to aid in this or will good old elbow grease work? I have wire brushes and a paint removal wheel for my arc grinder (not sure if I will use this or not).

Also, once the rust is removed, I have some black satin Rustoleum paint that I want to paint the arms with to protect them from the elements. Do I need to prep the surface somehow or put on some primer? Or will it be fine if I spray the paint on after making sure the surface is clean?
Old 03-12-2016, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do, you need to make sure that the parts are as clean as possible. I actually disassembled everything, and I actually had the parts you mentioned powder coated. For the parts I did not powder coat, I cleaned them with a degreaser, wiped down with alcohol to remove any residual grime (and removed any dried degreaser), primed and then painted. I have a cabinet blaster, and that helped in getting a good prep job, and "bite" for the primer. Even though powder coating is more expensive, I basically never have to worry about them in the future. Either way, the best eay to make sure the paint stays is in the prep.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

If you don't want to bother with all of the prep, and show car quality time/effort, the POR 15 Top Coat rattle can works very well, and even lasts for a couple of winter's worth of salt soup.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

So far I am using a wire brush bit on my power drill to remove the rust. When I get the rust removed (for the most part), it goes down to where the arms are black but in other areas it is down to the bare metal. Should I completely remove the black material or just enough to just get the rust off before I paint over the arms?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
So far I am using a wire brush bit on my power drill to remove the rust. When I get the rust removed (for the most part), it goes down to where the arms are black but in other areas it is down to the bare metal. Should I completely remove the black material or just enough to just get the rust off before I paint over the arms?
As long as you get the rust off and the surface is scuffed, you'll be fine.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This stuff is amazing, been using it for years

Quick Reply: Painting Suspension