Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please!

i'll try to keep this short. I went to replace my front brakes. I complete the passenger side in less then 15 minutes. I start my driver side compress the caliper ALL THE WAY and pop in the new pads in... it wont go back over the rotor... I went back to O'Reillys and measured another set as well as the one I had and they are identical. My rotor isnt warped. ANY ideas?? Thank you

Last edited by GMsfinest; 03-12-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMsfinest
i'll try to keep this short. I went to replace my front brakes. I complete the passenger side in less then 15 minutes. I start my driver side compress the caliper ALL THE WAY and pop in the new pads in... it wont go back over the rotor... I went back to O'Reillys and measured another set as well as the one I had and they are identical. My rotor isnt warped. ANY ideas?? Thank you
Did you try comparing the pads to the ones that went in without issues? And i know it might be a simple thing but it gets me all the time, sometimes the sliders stick out too far and the caliper hits one of them not allowing you to put it on.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vlad1995
Did you try comparing the pads to the ones that went in without issues? And i know it might be a simple thing but it gets me all the time, sometimes the sliders stick out too far and the caliper hits one of them not allowing you to put it on.

yeah I measured the ones i bought to another new set at Oreillys and they were both 59mm and they guy even let me take a new set and it wont clear by a few mm...im just baffled
Old 03-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Launching!

yeah I measured the ones i bought to another new set at Oreillys and they were both 59mm and they guy even let me take a new set and it wont clear by a few mm...im just baffled
well you said that the passenger side went on no problem, see if the pads are identical on passenger and driver side. If they are they you would know for sure its no the pads
Old 03-14-2016, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NineZeroFive
Pictures would help immensely. Where is it catching?
It catches on the top where the bracket and caliper bolt align. like the pad is too thick... the piston is FULLY compressed

Last edited by GMsfinest; 03-14-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

OK not an expert but is the slide pin on your bracket sticking out a little? Try pushing it in and see if the caliper slides over it.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If the caliper fits over the pads and the rotor, the pads are fine.

If the slider pin is just hanging up on the caliper bracket, then there is an issue with the pin or the caliper isn't seated on the hub all the way. (The brakes and rotor should move closer together, as a unit, closer to the hub, where the caliper bracket is mounted.)

You may take the rotor off and make sure there isn't any FOD there or anything back there that is keeping the rotor from sitting on the hub correctly.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
If the caliper fits over the pads and the rotor, the pads are fine.

If the slider pin is just hanging up on the caliper bracket, then there is an issue with the pin or the caliper isn't seated on the hub all the way. (The brakes and rotor should move closer together, as a unit, closer to the hub, where the caliper bracket is mounted.)

You may take the rotor off and make sure there isn't any FOD there or anything back there that is keeping the rotor from sitting on the hub correctly.
Oh ok It must be the pin where the bolt goes in on the top of the bracket is sized?? Any ideas of what I can do to release it? I remember thinking something along those lines but when I squeezed it lightly with some channel locks it didn't move.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh ok It must be the pin where the bolt goes in on the top of the bracket is sized?? Any ideas of what I can do to release it? I remember thinking something along those lines but when I squeezed it lightly with some channel locks it didn't move.
If your pins are not sliding you need to fix that! try removing the pin, clean it, and clean the inside of the bracket hole. re-grease and reinstall. If the rubber boot didn't seal it could have dried up the grease and caused some rust which could seize it up.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ohh! For some reason I could not figure out why it wasn't working for the OP. It all clicked right now.

Yeah that sliding pin that goes into the caliper bracket, make sure that thing can slide in and out ALL THE WAY without any sticking or grinding, also turn the pin around in circles as you put it in, in case it catches on something while you're turning in. Push the pin all the way in and turn it around a few times and pull it back out, then clean the end of the pin (it might have old hard grease on the end of it where the grease sits in the caliper bracket hole.) Keep doing that until you can't get much more old grease out. Then give the pin a good wipe down and add brake grease to it and hopefully that'll help your problem.

I had to use a flathead screwdriver to dig out rust or something inside my caliper bracket hole until my pin could slide in fine
Old 04-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Those pins are none to flat-spot and need to be replaced pretty often. Be careful as you twist it and don't force it too bad. You may need to heat up the bracket with a torch to expand it so you can pull the pin out. If you are flat-spotted and you force it to turn, you could gall the bracket and could end up needing to replace that - which is much more expensive.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Those pins are none to flat-spot and need to be replaced pretty often. Be careful as you twist it and don't force it too bad. You may need to heat up the bracket with a torch to expand it so you can pull the pin out. If you are flat-spotted and you force it to turn, you could gall the bracket and could end up needing to replace that - which is much more expensive.
10-4 I'm going to mess with it on my next day off I'll take a little video if I can figure it out it just making the pads pads squeel like crazy since I only put the one new one in I should have put all the olds back in but my dads spacey gf threw them away even though they where in the box and on his toolbox (what the hell shes doing we never know)

Quick Reply: Help please!