Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Recipe for a killer 60ft in a turbo f body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recipe for a killer 60ft in a turbo f body?

As the title implies, what is the recipe to have a turbo f body 60ft? Preferrably sub 1.4 60ft.

Time and time again it is stated that turbo cars cannot 60ft. While im a big fan of drag racing, I have seen a decent amount of turbo cars 60ft very close to NA/Nitrous cars.

I personally have full suspension(tubular A arms, k member. viking coilovers etc) minus a stock ARB and stock 3.42 gears, th400 w/brake and plan on running 275 Pro radials while weighing 3300# w/me. I also hope to be in the neighborhood 600-700+whp.

I know quality parts makes things easier, but do any turbo guys have any insight on how to get a good 60ft?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My relatives were running a turbo camaro and were cutting mid to high 1.3x's. Albeit they were making over 800 to the wheels on a Mustang dyno. They were running a TH400 with a transbrake, 3.42 gearing, anything higher and it would run out of gear before the quarter. Nothing super crazy suspension wise. Qa1 front SA shocks with Strange SA or DA rears. Non adjustable rear LCA's with relocation brackets, adjustable panhard and short torque arm. Front A arms were stock along with the k member too if I remember correctly, no front sway bar however. Rear drag bar was a necessity on that thing. Subframe connectors and a cage and that thing could LAUNCH.

Biggest thing if I remember was the TH400 and the transbrake. The turbo took a long time to spool up and once it let go, it let go hard
Old 03-21-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
My relatives were running a turbo camaro and were cutting mid to high 1.3x's. Albeit they were making over 800 to the wheels on a Mustang dyno. They were running a TH400 with a transbrake, 3.42 gearing, anything higher and it would run out of gear before the quarter. Nothing super crazy suspension wise. Qa1 front SA shocks with Strange SA or DA rears. Non adjustable rear LCA's with relocation brackets, adjustable panhard and short torque arm. Front A arms were stock along with the k member too if I remember correctly, no front sway bar however. Rear drag bar was a necessity on that thing. Subframe connectors and a cage and that thing could LAUNCH.

Biggest thing if I remember was the TH400 and the transbrake. The turbo took a long time to spool up and once it let go, it let go hard
Nice, the only think im really missing is the ARB at this point. I dont plan on cutting 1.3s without having a MWC/Wolfe/TRZ ARB. Seems like I am on the right track
Old 03-22-2016, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat. Will be following
Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Nice, the only think im really missing is the ARB at this point. I dont plan on cutting 1.3s without having a MWC/Wolfe/TRZ ARB. Seems like I am on the right track
You do have a good start for sure. The ARB will definitely help your cause, and help plant the tires more consistently which will then help your ability to fine tune your power management. What torque arm do you have?

Beyond suspension the single most important part of the combo will be your torque converter. It is the lifeblood of how the power is applied to the ground and can have drastic affects on the way the car performs.

Give us a call or message, we'd be glad to set you up with the rest of the package you need at great prices.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99
What torque arm do you have?
I have the BMR short tunnel mount TA.

The converter is my next area of concern. It was built locally by a converter company who has a good rep. But my mind always wanders because it is not from a big named company like Coan, PTC etc....
Old 12-10-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump

Anyone else want to share their experiences or tips?
Old 12-12-2016, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut a 1.27 on strange sa up front. stock shocks and springs in the rear. i cut 1.2x a few times. nothing better than 1.27. turbo 4.8. id be lucky if it made 750. short trq arm. trz arb. weighed 3600 with me in it. Races are won in the shop. Even though it is a basic car. i put alot of time into prep before i went racing or testing.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A lot of anti-squat, and tight shock rebound in the rear will let you hit the tires hard and keep it planted. Turbo cars like load, so tight a converter and tall gearing will let you build boost good on the brake and have control over how hard it launches. Also front rebound will be a big factor in controling front end lift. My car had issues finding the back bumper with just strange single adjustables in the front. Didn't have enough rebound control and up it went

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by topgun542
I cut a 1.27 on strange sa up front. stock shocks and springs in the rear. i cut 1.2x a few times. nothing better than 1.27. turbo 4.8. id be lucky if it made 750. short trq arm. trz arb. weighed 3600 with me in it. Races are won in the shop. Even though it is a basic car. i put alot of time into prep before i went racing or testing.
1.2x Is a very serious goal of mine. But I didnt want to set a goal too high for myself. I am trying to do the same thing your doing by putting a lot of time and prep into car before it even hits the pavement

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
A lot of anti-squat, and tight shock rebound in the rear will let you hit the tires hard and keep it planted. Turbo cars like load, so tight a converter and tall gearing will let you build boost good on the brake and have control over how hard it launches. Also front rebound will be a big factor in controling front end lift. My car had issues finding the back bumper with just strange single adjustables in the front. Didn't have enough rebound control and up it went
So with my viking coilovers, what should be my base setting be to start fine tuning? I was thinking Front: 10c6r Rear: 3c10r......
Old 12-14-2016, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Those are pretty close base line numbers to work with. I would go a little higher on the rear compression though. Usually around 6 or 7. Of course until you get it on the track and see how it reacts it will be tough to really fine tune it in, but that should give you a place to start. My car went 1.27 with a very similar setup to what you have minus the coilovers. So you should be in the same range dialed in

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Recipe for a killer 60ft in a turbo f body?