Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Corvette c5 irs swap in a thirdgen camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette c5 irs swap in a thirdgen camaro?

Hi everybody.

i have seen a thread on thirdgen.org that a guy put on a c5 irs rear suspension. but is their anybody here or on another forum that have done a complete swap? i have found an adapter plate that deletes the torque tube. would be much easier and maybe don´t have to cut the floor under the backseat. do you guys think it would be possible to keep the stock tank with this operation?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

I've never even heard of anyone doing that (C5 IRS) into any gen f body.

There was someone on here who did a C4 IRS swap into a 4th gen, and he probably chose that since he did not have to deal with the whole torque tube/transaxle issue, as well as price maybe.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear floor pans in the 3rd and 4th gen cars are pretty much the same, and you'd have to cut a LOT of it out, to clear the C-5's transaxle. Probably enough that the rear seat would have to go, which would make your car a 2 seater, which would then bring up the question, why not just buy a Corvette...
Old 03-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Teching In

As i said, im not gonna use the transaxle/ torque tube if im going to do this. And i have seen som cars on thirdgen.org that have c4 rear irs.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChrisO86
As i said, im not gonna use the transaxle/ torque tube if im going to do this. And i have seen som cars on thirdgen.org that have c4 rear irs.
It might help, when asking a question like this, if you provide a little more detail, in what you're planning on/attempting to do. So, if we were going to make a guess, are you saying that you want to adapt a C-5 rear suspension cradle to a 3rd or 4th get F-body?
Old 03-27-2016, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
It might help, when asking a question like this, if you provide a little more detail, in what you're planning on/attempting to do. So, if we were going to make a guess, are you saying that you want to adapt a C-5 rear suspension cradle to a 3rd or 4th get F-body?
If im going to do this project, i gonna use a c5 front and rear suspension in a third gen camaro as the topic says. To make a engine swap street legal with a ls1/2 or 3 here in sweden, i need to change the suspension brakes (which is invluded with c5 suspension). I know that the c4 will clear the stock gas tank. Så i presume that the c5 will do it to with only he cradle and diff?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChrisO86
If im going to do this project, i gonna use a c5 front and rear suspension in a third gen camaro as the topic says. To make a engine swap street legal with a ls1/2 or 3 here in sweden, i need to change the suspension brakes (which is invluded with c5 suspension). I know that the c4 will clear the stock gas tank. Så i presume that the c5 will do it to with only he cradle and diff?
Without trying to sound too negative, let me say this.....

Both the C-4 and C-5 Corvettes have FULL FRAMES, which the various suspensions/cradles attach to. The Camaro/Firebirds are unit body cars, so there are no easy "bolt-up to" points on the car, especially in the rear of the car. You'd be facing a HUGE amount of welding/fabricating, in order to do this.

I'm not, in any way, familiar with Sweedish rules and regulations, but I would think that if an LS1 engine was available in a 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird, FROM THE FACTORY, you shouldn't need to go through all that work, just to install one in a car of that generation......

Quick Reply: Corvette c5 irs swap in a thirdgen camaro?