Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange Squeaking Noise - After sitting in traffic.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strange Squeaking Noise - After sitting in traffic.

Good Morning,

I came across a STRANGE issue this morning while sitting in a traffic jam. I recently bought the car, it's a 2k2 SS with 28K miles. After sitting on the freeway (well stop an go traffic) for about an hour, I noticed a strange noise from the suspension. Unfortunately I couldn't tell 100% whether it was front or rear, but there was a strange squeak when the suspension would compress (bumps, accelerating from a stop, train tracks). When I got to work, I tried pushing on all four corners to see if I could reproduce the sound but I couldn't.

I will be interested in seeing if the sound is there on the way home, but I'm not sure where I should start. As I said it seemed to appear after sitting in traffic for an extended period of time. I'm thinking it's either a strut, or joint going.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Well the drive home was quiet no squeaks no nothing. How strange is this...
Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Likely a bushing, either a swaybar endlink or D-bushing, or rear LCA bushings.
EDIT: Bushings can start to make noise when they are too hot or too cold. If you were sitting in traffic the bushings were probably getting hot from the engine/exhaust.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Thank you for getting back to me on this, it is appreciated. Just a little update, the last two commutes have been squeak free, lol. I made an appointment with a place in Ft Worth with shop that deals with sports cars and the like on Friday, they are going to give the whole car a once over. Unfortunately I don't have the means to do this work myself, due to having major back surgery, so I'm hoping I don't take it in the shorts too bad. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: Strange Squeaking Noise - After sitting in traffic.