Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Lower Control Arm bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lower Control Arm bolts

I have searched through the threads and haven't found anyone that mentions how tight to tighten their front lower control arm bolts.
I have UMI from tubular K-member and their front lower control arms. I just got an alignment and verified the bolts were tight. When I was on my way home from the machine shop I was turning left on the the onramp and felt that I had to turn the wheel left about 25 degrees more to maintain the turn.

My question is what torque spec would you tighten the control arm bolts so they don't slip?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the factory K-member, and stock a-arm/bushings, the factory shop manual calls out that the camber bushing was tightened to 74 ft/lbs, and the caster bushing was 85 lbs. However, since you have something aftermarket, I'd contact BMR, and see what they recommend.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the same problem with my BMR K-Member setup. The lower control arm bolts would be tight, but they move during hard cornering. My alignment mechanic installed simple "Star" type lock washers that would bite into the powder coating and not move.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnR
I had the same problem with my BMR K-Member setup. The lower control arm bolts would be tight, but they move during hard cornering. My alignment mechanic installed simple "Star" type lock washers that would bite into the powder coating and not move.
You have a smart mechanic!! That would have been my suggestion, too, if the OP returned, and said he was still having issues.

Quick Reply: Front Lower Control Arm bolts