Old 08-03-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with UMI Rear suspension and future setup

I have UMI:
  • control arms
  • control arm relocation brackets
  • Adjustable Panhard bar

My UMI transmission cross member and adjustable torque arm are going to be delivered by Monday. When I lowered my car I didnt know I needed the relocation brackets. So I had terrible wheel hop. So I ordered the relocation brackets. I immediately put the control arms in the lowest hole and went to town, not knowing to take a pinion angle measurement.

So I have been driving like this for awhile and it did get ride of the wheel hop. However my rear end is whining and I get a NASTY vibration at 120+.

So with the new torque arm and relocation cross member coming in, I will be measuring for the pinion angle as i bought new hardware and the magnetic angle finder.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Can I mesure the angle with the car on level jack stands and jack the pumpkin up to the same position as if it was on the ground by mesuring wheel gap?
  2. Will the proper adjustment of the pinion angle correct the high speed vibration?
  3. What hole in the relocation brackets should I baseline with when I start to adjust the torque arm?
  4. Should I replavce my Universal joint because of all this?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good morning.

Yes, you should be able to set everything properly with the axle at standard ride height. We are trying to avoid having the rear hanging down in full rebound.

If you think you hurt a u-joint it's cheap insurance to replace sooner than later.

Having the driveline within the proper angles should cure your vibration problem.

With the advent of iPhones and cool apps, I've been using the Tremec toolbox with good success. It calculates for you. The Spicer Tool Kit also works nicely.

ramey
Old 08-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Banned

Oh, and PS, THANKS for choosing UMI.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
Good morning.

Yes, you should be able to set everything properly with the axle at standard ride height. We are trying to avoid having the rear hanging down in full rebound.

If you think you hurt a u-joint it's cheap insurance to replace sooner than later.

Having the driveline within the proper angles should cure your vibration problem.

With the advent of iPhones and cool apps, I've been using the Tremec toolbox with good success. It calculates for you. The Spicer Tool Kit also works nicely.

ramey
Originally Posted by UMI Tech
Oh, and PS, THANKS for choosing UMI.
No problem, everything I seem to get from you guys is of great quality. I will have to talk to someone, however, because I was sold the front control arm kit after I voiced my intentions of road course work and I was told that I wouldn't need the boxed arms since it's driven on the street. Hoping they are strong enough and do not crack. Other than that mix up, which I haven't yet voiced, I am thoroughly pleased with all the hardware from you guys.

In your opinion do you think the whining from the rear will be cured too? Vibration should be gone as you stated. I am excited to get this setup because it is one of the last stock pieces left and I am excited to actually be able to hook up.

How will the car behave differently than before?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

I don't think that's a mix-up. Our tubulars work fine for standard road racing. We make boxed for those wanting add'l strength but I'd say we sell 5 tubular sets for every boxed for road racing.

If the whining is due to pinion angle then it should go away. If there is something wrong with the Ring N Pinion then it won't help. Our Mustang GT whines from the factory. Sounds like a blower. Ugh.

Car behave differently with pinion angle change? Probably won't be too noticeable other than the smoothness.

Quick Reply: Help with UMI Rear suspension and future setup