Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about front coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question about front coil overs

I have The Jegs brand tubular a-arms installed on my 67 GTO and Im looking to buy front coil over shocks. Does anybody know what the best spring rate would be to handle the aluminum block LS1 and 4l60 trans?
Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't mention what your trying to achieve with the car, The go to spring rates for A-Body's are 350lb and 450lb for street cars, The 350lb springs will give you the most comfortable ride while the 450LB springs will be a bit stiffer and improve cornering.

Some customers use 550Lb springs, these springs are on the stiff side for someone looking for a plush ride on the street but they control body roll better than the lighter springs if your planning on doing any auto-x or road course driving.

Springs rates determine how much you can lower a cars ride height, so the ride height you are trying to achieve may have some bearing on which spring rate you need.

If you have any questions feel free to give us a call here at the shop.

Craig
Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit
I have The Jegs brand tubular a-arms installed on my 67 GTO and Im looking to buy front coil over shocks. Does anybody know what the best spring rate would be to handle the aluminum block LS1 and 4l60 trans?
Drag racing is typically 275-350, street/strip use is typically 350-450, autocross/road racing is typically 500-550.

A lot of it depends on how much you drive the car and what your intended purpose is, but being your front weight has been drastically reduced with the aluminum block you will be on the lower end of the ranges.

Give us a call, we'd be happy to help you select the proper setup for your needs and great prices!

Quick Reply: Question about front coil overs