Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handling mods plan

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still leaning toward shocks as the immediate next. The original decarbons are still on it. With the OT I am pulling, I'll probably do shocks/swaybars at the same time.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy129
I have the mount for the factory TA. This is not a lowered car. I am simply divorcing the TA from the trans tailshaft. Should be no resetting anything.
But the new mount allows you move the nose of the TA up, which with a non-adjustable TA will cause pinion angle issues. Now if you put the TA on back at the same angle and had no issue to start with, you won't have one after either.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-13-2016, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
But the new mount allows you move the nose of the TA up, which with a non-adjustable TA will cause pinion angle issues. Now if you put the TA on back at the same angle and had no issue to start with, you won't have one after either.
UMI specs 2nd hole from the bottom for stock TA attachment.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trackbird
Do the 35mm front sway bar ASAP. It's likely the best improvement for these cars (particularly for the "buck"). Even if you leave the stock rear bar for now, get a front bar on it. You'll be amazed.
Well, it only took a year (OT at work has been insane). I took your advise. I scored a new in box Strano Hollow setup on craplist. Installed the front today in between resting for work from last night and going in yet again tonight.

I wanted to get the front on because, for the 3rd year in a row, the wife and I are headed to NC and the Tail of the Dragon is once again on the to-do itinerary. Last year, I was pretty happy with the stock setup. I took the T/A for a spin after installing the 35mm front today and WOW, will this car grip hard in the corners!

You would think the rear should have broken loose as hard as the car jerked. nope. Planted securely. Steering wheel seems tighter as well.

No shocks or other mods yet. Haven't had time. Working hard and making that $.

Sam Strano, thank you for such an impressive sway bar offering! It should only get better once I throw the rear on it.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Back from the vacation. What an improvement! Rough figuring (having to compensate for slow traffic not pulling aside) is about 2:20 better than last year. Could have made my goal or better had those guys on bikes pulled over.... Yeah. I caught a couple of bikes. They weren't going all out, but still, it feels great to catch a bike. Next time, I'll just pull off if they don't yield by the 2nd pullover location. Makes it much easier to figure your time. That said, I've been bitten by the mod bug for sure. Next step is the rear sway bar, then refreshing the front suspension rubber stuff.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy129
Back from the vacation. What an improvement! Rough figuring (having to compensate for slow traffic not pulling aside) is about 2:20 better than last year. Could have made my goal or better had those guys on bikes pulled over.... Yeah. I caught a couple of bikes. They weren't going all out, but still, it feels great to catch a bike. Next time, I'll just pull off if they don't yield by the 2nd pullover location. Makes it much easier to figure your time. That said, I've been bitten by the mod bug for sure. Next step is the rear sway bar, then refreshing the front suspension rubber stuff.
Skip the rear swaybar for now and put that money toward good shocks, it will go a much much longer way than swaybars. If you think you car handles well/feels good now you are in for a huge surprise.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Skip the rear swaybar for now and put that money toward good shocks, it will go a much much longer way than swaybars. If you think you car handles well/feels good now you are in for a huge surprise.
Already have the set. Just didn't have time to do both before the Dragon. Rear is on now. It just helped the rear with the bit of kickout it wanted to have. Feels way more solid overall.

I guess next big mod will be shocks. Even though it is pricey, I am eyeing the Strano/UMI-afco setup since they will let me keep a better height for where I have to occasionally have the car.

When I am ready to let the next chunk of $$$ go, I'll be calling Sam.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock ride height can be easily maintained with a conventional spring/shock set up. Just because you get a higher performance "lowering" spring, doesn't mean you have to use in it's lowest configuration. You can take advantage of the increased spring rate and use spacers to get the height you prefer. If you are impressed with the difference of just a front sway bar change, you are really going to be smiling with springs, shocks, and sway bars.
Sam's UMI coilovers are super nice I am told. They might be overkill for your experience level though. That's hard to say. Some might suggest using the additional $800 needed for the coilovers over Koni sports and white springs in a different way. I would suggest new front upper control arms with poly bushings. Most of the new control arms have increased caster built right into the ball joint location. Not only does increased positive caster feel like better handling, these aftermarket control arms also allow you to increase camber and not "lose" all of your positive caster. These arms are only about $250 or so. With the other $550, I would buy some new seats. After you have improved your basic suspension system, increased your front wheel grip with a sportier alignment, seats will make more difference to your driving enjoyment than you would ever imagine.

Quick Reply: Handling mods plan