Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front shock retaining nut proper fastening

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front shock retaining nut proper fastening

I'm doing my koni/strano front install finally. For the top nylon lock nut that retains the shock rod to the mount, is there a torque value for this or just "all the way down and tight"? Also, should I be putting any sort of medium grade thread locker here? I know it's universally recommended to smear that area in anti-seize or some other rust prevention, but I want to make sure I have this process done right, especially on a car that will see some autocross/track stress. I don't need any nuts coming off (the car or otherwise!).

I checked my GM service manuals and they say very little. Only torque values appear to be for the lower two bolts and the four upper shock mount locations.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Talked to Sam, got some answers. As long as it's installed properly (spring compressor tightened enough to allow the mount to seat on the large washer and shock, which I did) then 30ft-lb should be enough. He also said he prefers a lock washer and nut over the nylon locking nut.

Just in case anyone else finds this in a search looking for advice.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by szalkerous
Talked to Sam... He also said he prefers a lock washer and nut over the nylon locking nut.

Just in case anyone else finds this in a search looking for advice.
This is good stuff here. Thanks for talking with Sam and sharing the insight.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:04 AM
Teching In

After you have ensured that the nylon lock nut is in good shape, place it at the tip of the threaded bolt. Then, using your hand, turn the nut clockwise until you cannot move it.
Make sure that you can see the top thread of the fastener. After you have placed it correctly, move to the next step.
Put a socket that will fit the nut to a ⅜-inch drive ratchet. Next, drive the nylon lock nut with a ⅜-inch drive ratchet.
To tighten the nut, turn the ratchet clockwise. You may feel a little bit of resistance, but it is normal. Keep turning the ratchet, but don’t tighten the nut too much since this may damage the fastener.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you have air, get it properly set up on the compressor per above, and then just zip it down. This has worked perfectly for me on several cars.

Quick Reply: Front shock retaining nut proper fastening