Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front spring rate question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front spring rate question

What would happen if I run to light of a spring on the front? Currently around 3000lbs and running 250 springs. I thought the car was alot lighter then it is, that's the reason I went with 250.

I have them adjusted more then half way and it still sits too low for me. Does this mean the springs are to light to raise the car or can I keep adjusting the jam nut to raise it up?

DA Strange shocks S5071

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

250 is lighter than any stock GM spring on any V-8. You can raise them up, compressing the spring more and more functionally adding preload which hurts ride more than a heavier spring without a lot of preload. Or you can put a more appropriate rate on it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-23-2016, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
250 is lighter than any stock GM spring on any V-8. You can raise them up, compressing the spring more and more functionally adding preload which hurts ride more than a heavier spring without a lot of preload. Or you can put a more appropriate rate on it.
Thanks.

So if I keep compressing the spring it will raise the car higher?? I was worried that the spring was too weak to raise the car while compressing..

Far as the ride it is a 100% track car. I can get the tires off the ground a good 3-4"s. Will #275 or #300 springs get the tires up higher?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, but because the spring is soft you will be squishing the spring more and more to get that height. You'd either want a stiffer spring, or a longer one if you end up with a sledgehammer ride or not being tall enough.

The front spring rate has little to do with it. the idea is that the longer softer springs (note longer not shorter softer springs) push up on the body when you hit the gas. The car pulling tires is more to do with rear grip and power and geometry. Though I'll point out here that if you watch serious cars like ProStock cars they don't pull the wheels way up because you can actually hurt your times, and the way up in the air catches a lot of air.. and that takes power to push through.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Okay great. That makes perfect sense! I think for now if it's not going to damage anything (shocks) I'm going to try and raise it to the height I want. And if it doesn't effect the ride I'll stick with these springs.

If I can't get to the height I want I will look into different springs. I'm only looking to go another 1 1/2- 2" higher.

This year has been alot of trial and error but it's getting there.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Front spring rate question