Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Brake Rotor not lining up to new axles/studs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016 | 10:06 AM
Teching In

Default Rear Brake Rotor not lining up to new axles/studs

I have a Moser 9" and just installed the new axles with 1/2" studs. The stock brake rotor holes are very very close but don't perfectly line up to slide onto the new studs. Do I just have the holes machined out a little? Any help would be appreciated. Photos below...
Attached Thumbnails Rear Brake Rotor not lining up to new axles/studs-img_7515.jpg   Rear Brake Rotor not lining up to new axles/studs-img_7516.jpg  
Old 09-28-2016 | 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now I'm not there so I can't measure those studs but they sure look like 5/8 studs to me by the shank.
Old 09-28-2016 | 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Now I'm not there so I can't measure those studs but they sure look like 5/8 studs to me by the shank.
Yes my mistake they are 5/8 studs. Do I need different rotors or just have these machined out?
Old 09-28-2016 | 01:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You can drill them out to the 5/8 stud but the problem with that is there is no guarantee that it will not vibrate so your best bet would be to see if someone makes a rotor to accept 5/8 studs or purchase an aftermarket brake kit.
Old 09-28-2016 | 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
You can drill them out to the 5/8 stud but the problem with that is there is no guarantee that it will not vibrate so your best bet would be to see if someone makes a rotor to accept 5/8 studs or purchase an aftermarket brake kit.
Do you guys sell a rotor that accepts 5/8 studs or would it be a complete kit purchase? Do the strange kits you sell work with the moser axles?
Old 09-28-2016 | 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aftermarket brakes come as a kit like Strange. Like mentioning in the PM you do not have the proper register for stock brakes which was mentioned may give you a vibration. Here is another issue with just swapping to an aftermarket brake kit, you will not have the proper brake gap for them as they are different than a stock brake gap.

We should be able to solve some of your issues going to race brakes however.
Old 09-29-2016 | 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

I just hogged the holes out, no vibrations or issues.
Old 09-29-2016 | 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Making the hole bigger will allow them to fit but not having the proper register size can cause issues. Not to mention if this set up was originally done for 5/8 studs good chance is was designed for race brakes. This means the brake gap will be different and the rotor and caliper will not line up properly.
Old 09-29-2016 | 08:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks I will take a look at that once I have the rotors on. So far it visually looks like the calipers will line up to the rotors properly. If I have a problem from there I'll get in contact with you guys about doing a new brake set up. Car is going to be strictly for the track.
Old 10-03-2016 | 06:29 PM
Teching In

Well after having rotors drilled out for 5/8" studs they still aren't lining up. I called moser and they verified the axles I received are the same bolt pattern as my 02 Camaro. The studs just don't line up enough for the rotors to slide on. I guess next step will be to pull an axle and bring to machine shop to get new holes drilled in between the factory ones that are exactly where I need them

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Rotor not lining up to new axles/studs