Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

$35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The problem with the adjustable assist is that unless you adjust the **** constantly while driving, it will give fixed assist. So you turn it up enough to give you easy steering around a parking lot, and then get on the highway and attempt a lane change, and end up oversteering. The automatic one uses the torque sensor in the column to give assist based on input. So more input torque while going slow mean more assist, less input torque while going fast means less assist.
gotcha, makes sense.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 0411 pcm VSS output to Saturn EPS

Is it possible to wire the vehicle speed output from a 0411 PCM to the Saturn box and get normal operation?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by squared
Is it possible to wire the vehicle speed output from a 0411 PCM to the Saturn box and get normal operation?
I'm pretty sure that data to the Saturn boxes is all done by CANBUS. So, no.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 504 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
Has anyone checked what CAN messages are being sent to the EPS from the EBAY control box?

If the messages are available, it wouldn't be that difficult to put together something that gets the MPH from the vehicle and sends the appropriate CAN messages to the EPS unit instead of having to manually turn the dial.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Signal type

It's been a while since I've looked at CANBUS, and don't remember much about it, but here's my thinking... It's probably a pulse modulated signal from that box that's proportional to "speed". Technically, there's no need for a message that translates to an analog value of speed. If so, any pulsed output, appropriately scaled, should work.
The following users liked this post:
btfojeff (03-29-2021)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by l0gane
hello waid786,

does the 3 wire hookup steering wheel stiffens when you speed up? Or only the 4 wire hookup does that with the variable assist?
anyone???
Old 09-18-2018, 06:02 AM

Hi Waid 786,

I need your advise. I am going to retrofit my old Fiat 1800B. It is 1964 made.
The Steering column is next to transmission linkage. I have clearance only 54mm from steering shaft centerline to the outer side of EPS housing.
Which EPS that I can use? The smallest in diameter and fits my clearance.

Please advise.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

So i saw a post earlier on FB about using a Volvo PS pump. Its an external electric pump NOT attached to the steering shaft so you could place it anywhere and just plumb lines. It apparently goes full on when powered up. If we could figure out how to variable assist it i think it could be a winner.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

So it looks like there are two main versions, one with possibly two reservoirs, an upper and lower (fill the upper), then this one, which is one unit with a single reservoir.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-STEER...rd!71033!US!-1
Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
So it looks like there are two main versions, one with possibly two reservoirs, an upper and lower (fill the upper), then this one, which is one unit with a single reservoir.

I would rather go this route. I don't really have faith in welding on a steering component. Going electric hydraulic would be easier
Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4

now I like that! I was just revisiting this thread to try to research doing an eps setup on my Chevelle, but I like that Volvo setup a lot. Wonder how hard it would be to rig that up?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Has anyone tried automatic assistance with this sort of sensor and feeding the data to the steering ecu ? Maybe through an arduino box or something

https://www.brantz.co.uk/product-page/brantz-speedomete-cable-sensor
Old 10-23-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

this is really really cool!
Old 11-15-2018, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

I just installed a Prius column and Yaris non-ABS ECU on my 1967 Cougar with a LS swap...What a mutt that car is!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...videos-23.html

Start on post #915.

I have a VSS signal going from my Holley Dominator ECU to the Yaris ECU, so the steering assist is automatically variable based on vehicle speed.
I also just recently read this:
https://www.autoserviceprofessional....teering?Page=3

It mentioned performing a "torque sensor zero point calibration." This seems important! Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Waid?

Andrew
Old 11-18-2018, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have been digging deeper into the ins and outs of the Toyota EPAS system. One thing that I ran across is that the Toyota systems have a "torque sensor zero point calibration" that must be performed in case of a wheel re-alignment or if the motor assembly is replaced. This is described well here (toward the bottom of the page):

As far as I have seen, nobody has talked about this when installing the Toyota gear into older vehicles. This seems like a very important procedure and the fact that nobody is doing it, leads me to believe that it is partially (if not fully) to blame for the lack of centering that I (and others) are experiencing with the system.

Another thing that I found out, and this is a bit confusing, is that apparently, the Yaris ECU doesn't actually go into full speed assist mode unless it sees an RPM signal come across the CAN bus. This is confusing to me because I swear that my system does change the level of assist based on speed, but I have no concrete way to verify this, except for how it "feels" to drive. This has also been tested by others on the bench by connecting a square wave generator to the Yaris ECU speed input (pin 5) and reporting variability in assist level based on altering the pulsing frequency.

The information found here is invaluable (post #23):
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...steering/page2

I have been in email contact with the original poster (his name is Jared) of that thread. Here is a more complete pin-out for the Yaris steering ECU:

This is a wiring diagram that Jared put together.

Jared solved the CAN signal issue by using and custom programming the CANdo Auto Module:
http://www.cananalyser.co.uk/candoauto.html

Here is an excerpt from his post on the Toyota forum:

"I going to jump into technical which will make much more sense once you research the CAN system. I was able to find the hex decimal code for engine RPM is 2C4 wheel speed is either 0B0 or 0B2. Since my setup has a non ABS eps ecu has an analog wheel speed signal (input). I only needed the engine RPM on the CAN network so i will only go over how I programed the Cando for this. The Cando has 2 analog inputs that can be programed to then transmit programable CAN data. It also can have ten static data points programed and continually repeated. When you get the software open there are four tabs. "Input view", "Input setup", "CAN transmit" and "CAN setup" first off we need to go to "CAN setup" and change the setting to 500kps to match the network speed of the CAN system. Then back to the tab "CAN transmit". Now as I said earlier the hex for RPM is 2C4. The data length is 11 bit. The dlc is 8. The information I used was ramdomly picked after much trial and error. Almost 3 pages of codes I tried. I could set the RPM in connect my scan tool and see the RPM but still no assist. After much frustration I finally realised that it was a setting I had wrong. It was how often I had it repetting the message. The end result looked something like this 2C4 8 06 8A 00 19 00 00 92 09 Repeat rate 20 ms(milliseconds). All this done and turned the car on and immediate assist. I still have not been able to drive the car and see if it feels bettter. Still working on some idle issues with the engine. I could however tell the assist was greater. Last thing to work on is connecting the CAN wiring to the DLC so i can see about changing the setting for the assist level at idle."

What makes this more frustrating for me is that the Holley Dominator does use CAN communication. This is used for communication with Racepak and the Holley digital displays. The frustrating part is that the Holley CAN protocol is proprietary, so the odds of the Yaris steering computer "understanding" the Holley data packets are nil.

Before I go down the same path as Jared, I need to have a conversation with DCE. Their Microsteer ECU is speed sensitive. The only question remains is if the Microsteer ECU is compatible with the Toyota motor. If it is compatible, then I am inclined to ditch the Toyota ECU and simplify this ordeal by spending money on the Microsteer ECU instead of buying the CANdo box. I also need to find out how DCE handles the torque sensor center point calibration, as this seems rather important for obtaining satisfactory on-center feel and return.

I am open to thoughts and suggestions!!!

Andrew
Old 11-18-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forum...ing-44828.html
Old 11-18-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

That doesn't help me. I have a manual rack in the car. If I had a power rack, I would just add a PS pump to my accessory drive and be done with it...LOL

Andrew
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I just installed a Prius column and Yaris non-ABS ECU on my 1967 Cougar with a LS swap...What a mutt that car is!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...videos-23.html

Start on post #915.

I have a VSS signal going from my Holley Dominator ECU to the Yaris ECU, so the steering assist is automatically variable based on vehicle speed.
I also just recently read this:

It mentioned performing a "torque sensor zero point calibration." This seems important! Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Waid?

Andrew

Andrew, my Falcon is still not done. I have been working on my S10 with 5.3/4L60E swap which is 99.99% done. Have to do few more things.

The only person I know is this guy on Fairlane Forum who has been running Yaris Non-ABS for a long time with no issues.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112422-1.aspx

Old 01-13-2019, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by waid786
Andrew, my Falcon is still not done. I have been working on my S10 with 5.3/4L60E swap which is 99.99% done. Have to do few more things.

The only person I know is this guy on Fairlane Forum who has been running Yaris Non-ABS for a long time with no issues.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112422-1.aspx
Thanks Waid...I actually signed up over there a while back and Kevin has been helpful. I have everything working, but am still fine tuning and trying to improve the return to center.

Andrew
Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 PM

Default New list of comparable cars?

Waid I was wondering if you had a new list of salvageable cars?

i keep checking my local yard for the list you gave in the first post of the thread. I have had no luck finding any of those vehicles.

Quick Reply: $35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!