Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Viking coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Eric,Evan Stevens would slap me if I bought from anywhere else I will probably go with the second one. I want to change the upper and lower front arms. Is ride still okay with those on the street? I still drive this car from MD to Florida etc..
It hurts a little more every time I am called Eric.
ssvert = Eric
MidwestChassis = Kevin
MidwestChassis2 = Jason

For a heavily driven street vehicle I would probably stay with the stud upper, however I would replace all the used stuff with new due to age and wear. Now don't get me wrong the clevis upper will survive it could however be a tad bit harsher of a ride and I would say this gently because what is hard to one person isn't to someone else.

Clevis upper all though isn't exactly the same as a strut upper of a Mustang you could compare them. As the strut travels through a monoball bearing and uses spacers to take up the difference when using a set of caster camber plates. Plenty of Mustangs street driven for years this way.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got bearing uppers with my setup albeit it a completely different shock and spring and I don't have any issues on the street that I would attribute to the bearing mounts. Frankly getting rid of that rubber water cup would be worth it to me on a car that sees rain.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I've got bearing uppers with my setup albeit it a completely different shock and spring and I don't have any issues on the street that I would attribute to the bearing mounts. Frankly getting rid of that rubber water cup would be worth it to me on a car that sees rain.
Agreed. Not the same setup but it appears I'm using the same clevis and I have zero NVH complaints.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
It hurts a little more every time I am called Eric.
ssvert = Eric
MidwestChassis = Kevin
MidwestChassis2 = Jason

For a heavily driven street vehicle I would probably stay with the stud upper, however I would replace all the used stuff with new due to age and wear. Now don't get me wrong the clevis upper will survive it could however be a tad bit harsher of a ride and I would say this gently because what is hard to one person isn't to someone else.

Clevis upper all though isn't exactly the same as a strut upper of a Mustang you could compare them. As the strut travels through a monoball bearing and uses spacers to take up the difference when using a set of caster camber plates. Plenty of Mustangs street driven for years this way.
Oops sorry

Thank for you help. I will order tomorrow
Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the good things about the Vikings is the ease in which you can change valving. If you buy a set of Crusaders, and the valving isn't exactly what you want, you can change the internals easily and try again. Also, Viking is actively developing new valve codes all the time. We can help with dyno charts, advice, coordination between the customer and Viking engineering and so forth.

We race what we sell.

ramey
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
One of the good things about the Vikings is the ease in which you can change valving. If you buy a set of Crusaders, and the valving isn't exactly what you want, you can change the internals easily and try again. Also, Viking is actively developing new valve codes all the time. We can help with dyno charts, advice, coordination between the customer and Viking engineering and so forth.

We race what we sell.

ramey
What's different between changing the valving on a viking shock vs an afco or other shock from a customer perspective?

I'd assume the steps are the same:
1. Determine what spring and stuff you're using
2. ship shock to company with specs
3. wait
4. get shocks back
Old 12-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take shock off.
Lay shock down.
Remove rebound adjuster.
Replace guts with new guts.
Reinstall in reverse order.

Adjustment range is broad so if the curve moves up or down slightly it doesn't matter too much other than requiring on-car testing.

So, it's different.

ramey

Originally Posted by blackandgold
What's different between changing the valving on a viking shock vs an afco or other shock from a customer perspective?

I'd assume the steps are the same:
1. Determine what spring and stuff you're using
2. ship shock to company with specs
3. wait
4. get shocks back

Quick Reply: Viking coilovers