Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunk from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clunk from rear suspension

2002 Z28. Suspension mods are SLP level 1 kit (Eibachs, Bilsteins, 1LE LCA's, PHR, and front sway), BMR bolt-on LCA relocation brackets, BMR tubular SFC's.

My suspension is normally pretty quiet, but now that I work in Flint (ugh) I'm hitting some pretty rough roads. If I hit a large dip or pothole that causes the rear suspension to quickly unload, I'm getting a pretty load clunk from what sounds like the right rear.

I had a similar sound coming from the right front when I forgot to use a nut with a nylon insert to put together my Bilstein / Eibachs. The nut had backed off, so I figured maybe a similar think happened on the rear shock. Checked it out and it's on there good.

All of the LCA and PHR attachments are good, except for the right rear LCA mount into my BMR relocation brackets. Despite torqueing the LCA bolt to the point where I was worried I was stretching the bolt, there is still about a quarter inch gap between the rubber bushing and the inner side of the relocation bracket. Could that be causing the noise?
Old 06-23-2004, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Well, getting under the car last night and double-checking everything paid off a bit. The upper panhard bar bolt was really loose, and everything else needed a turn or two.

Only had one clunk today, from a huge dip in the road. Not sure any car would go quietly through it. Other spots that were noisy before were quiet.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats why I stick with weld in items
Old 06-26-2004, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

You welded in your panhard bar?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Launching!

OMG buddy - please tell me you didn't weld in your lower control arms??