Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do cross drilled rotors improve wet braking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I think most people who are really hard on brake rotors and pads (road racers) will agree that drilling the rotor really doesn't add a measurable performance advantage to braking effectiveness. Additionally, on the street where pad and rotor temperatures will (hopefully) never reach the level they will on a road course, they would show even less of a performance advantage.
Slotting the rotors has been shown by the big brake companies such as Baer, Stop-Tech, Brembo, and SSBC to add performance in extreme conditions where the pads begin to vaporize and develop a layer of gas between the pad and rotor. Slotting allows this gas to escape. I am referring to very hard, repeated braking...nothing that would ever occur on the street.
On a street rotor, slotting and drilling is for appearance. I think one of the best setups going right now is the Brembo OEM replacement rotor with a quality ceramic pad. It's not flashy, but it's inexpensive and serves it's purpose.

What a lot of people don't understand is that TIRES are the weak link in most braking systems. If you can lock up your tires with your brakes, then you need better tires. Of course, that only goes so far on the street, as street tires aren't near as sticky as a track tire.
I'm guessing that nobody actually read the links that Vip1 provided. Most of that is covered. I don't think you can find a brake pad these days that will "outgas" and build up a layer of gas between the pads and rotors. Modern binding agents (glues) are too good and it is no longer an issue. But that is the type of fade the drilled rotors were designed to prevent. It was a band aid solution to a no-longer-exsistant problem. We got better glue, race cars quit drilling holes in rotors.

The "tire problem" is also covered in one of those links.

Have fun!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I think most people who are really hard on brake rotors and pads (road racers)
You mean people actually road race an F-Body? I thought they were drag cars ...

=================================
fa·ce·tious ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fu-se-shus)
adj.

Playfully jocular; humorous: facetious remarks.
=================================
Old 06-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
You people crack me up ....
Me, CaptUSA, or the fact that we (all of us) are arguing over an age-old topic that has been well-covered in other threads?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
Me, CaptUSA, or the fact that we (all of us) are arguing over an age-old topic that has been well-covered in other threads?

I'm guessing that it is the throd one. This one does seem to pop up and then get beat to death on occasion. Then, it shows up again. That is why it went up on my website, saved keyboard wear....
Old 06-25-2004, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

The lengths folks will go to in an attempt to justify in their minds that something works. People are just funny that way ...

I'll be the first to admit ... it looks like it ought to work ... but ....
Old 06-25-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is "they"? High School DE or some driving school you've attended?

I've never heard of such a thing. BUt that doesn't mean much.
I'm certainly no expert ... I like learning new things ...
Mitch, I'll admit I've heard to do that two from instructional folks such as driver's ed teachers and videos. However, that was only suggested after driving through standing water. It was never suggested to do for when you're at speed in a typical rain storm, exactly for the reason you demonstrated.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Have you ever put clothes in a washing machine?

What happens when they finish washing and rinsing?

They go through a spin cycle ... why?

So that centrifugal force will force the water out.

At 50mph, how much water do you think is actually on the surface of the brake rotor? Just how far off the surface of the rotor do you think the brake pads ride?
Not to be assanine, but there is no such thing as centrifugal force - that implies that force is directed outward from the center, which is untrue. The correct term is centripetal force, which implied the force is being direct inward toward the center. The water isn't experiencing any force, it is under the influence of inertia and there is nothing to centripetally hold the water on the rotor, and it is thrown off tangential to the curve.

I realize that this means absolutely nothing and is OT, but I thought you guys might want a lesson in physics and I'm bored at work, so
Old 06-25-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LittleDonny
Not to be assanine, but there is no such thing as centrifugal force - that implies that force is directed outward from the center, which is untrue. The correct term is centripetal force, which implied the force is being direct inward toward the center. The water isn't experiencing any force, it is under the influence of inertia and there is nothing to centripetally hold the water on the rotor, and it is thrown off tangential to the curve.

I realize that this means absolutely nothing and is OT, but I thought you guys might want a lesson in physics and I'm bored at work, so

Interesting info....you must be really bored

Old 06-25-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, Donny ... I hope you continue to be bored at work.

It appears that when you are, we learn something ...

Old 06-25-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LittleDonny

This thread is under the influence of something alright, and has definitely been thrown off tangentially...
Old 06-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Centrifugal Force does indeed exist. It is the opposite of Centripetal Force:

This is from InfoPlease:
centripetal force and centrifugal force, action-reaction force pair associated with circular motion. According to Newton's first law of motion, a moving body travels along a straight path with constant speed (i.e., has constant velocity) unless it is acted on by an outside force. For circular motion to occur there must be a constant force acting on a body, pushing it toward the center of the circular path. This force is the centripetal (“center-seeking”) force. For a planet orbiting the sun, the force is gravitational; for an object twirled on a string, the force is mechanical; for an electron orbiting an atom, it is electrical. The magnitude F of the centripetal force is equal to the mass m of the body times its velocity squared v 2 divided by the radius r of its path: F=mv2/r. According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The centripetal force, the action, is balanced by a reaction force, the centrifugal (“center-fleeing”) force. The two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. The centrifugal force does not act on the body in motion; the only force acting on the body in motion is the centripetal force. The centrifugal force acts on the source of the centripetal force to displace it radially from the center of the path. Thus, in twirling a mass on a string, the centripetal force transmitted by the string pulls in on the mass to keep it in its circular path, while the centrifugal force transmitted by the string pulls outward on its point of attachment at the center of the path. The centrifugal force is often mistakenly thought to cause a body to fly out of its circular path when it is released; rather, it is the removal of the centripetal force that allows the body to travel in a straight line as required by Newton's first law. If there were in fact a force acting to force the body out of its circular path, its path when released would not be the straight tangential course that is always observed.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2003, Columbia University Press
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0811114.html

I actually stayed awake in physics (although that was a few years ago now ).
Old 06-25-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I stand corrected ...

I am now beginning to think that cross drilled rotors do play a role in extracting water.

Remember my washing machine analogy?

Have you ever put clothes in a washing machine?

What happens when they finish washing and rinsing?

They go through a spin cycle ... why?

So that centrifugal force will force the water out.
Well, I looked inside my washing machine an lo and behold ...

it's freaking cross drilled!!!!!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Default cross drilled Brembo washing machine

That's too funny
Now the mystery has been solved about where Brembo and Wilwood get their product ideas from. Does the washing machine have a composite ceramic lid as well??
Old 06-26-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by John95Z28
That's too funny
Now the mystery has been solved about where Brembo and Wilwood get their product ideas from. Does the washing machine have a composite ceramic lid as well??

Nope...but the rotors now come with a bleach dispenser.....
Old 06-26-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Once that pic gets around, we'll have cross drilled drums.....
Old 06-26-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

I stand corrected ...

That's the best damn post ever.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Old 06-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Centrifugal Force does indeed exist. It is the opposite of Centripetal Force:

This is from InfoPlease:

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0811114.html

I actually stayed awake in physics (although that was a few years ago now ).
If you know so much about it, please, draw a free body of a body in circular motion, diagram and label the forces, and include "centrifugal force." You won't find that on infoplease.com...

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/phys...ugalForce.html
Old 06-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

We dont need to get this technical here.

I posted the explanation from InfoPlease because its not too technical and it was the first hit on Google.

I was just point out that centrifugal force exists. It may not be a "real" force, but it exists.

Calm down, relax, have a beverage of choice.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

We dont need to get this technical here.

I posted the explanation from InfoPlease because its not too technical and it was the first hit on Google.

I was just point out that centrifugal force exists. It may not be a "real" force, but it exists.

Calm down, relax, have a beverage of choice.
Technical is good.

Quick Reply: Do cross drilled rotors improve wet braking?