Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

RideTech v/s Viking

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
Really didn't know what to expect response wise but after reading through there is alot of very good information contained here. Just looking to upgrade for spirited open and curvy road driving and being able to adjust the suspension is a big plus. I'll have to look into the UMI/Strano option as well*
It's a little pricier, I was cross shopping between ridetech level 2 and the UMI/strano setup went with the UMI/Strano for the higher spring rates and I'm super happy, it's a really nice kit. You can also run the car at around stock height which is a huge bonus if the roads near you suck or your y-pipe hangs low.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What are your current shocks/springs/swaybars?
From your pics you definitely look lowered.
I currently have Koni/Strano and then UMI adjustable everything with a Fays2Watts link.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I currently have Koni/Strano and then UMI adjustable everything with a Fays2Watts link.
Koni sports or STR.Ts?
Either way vikings would be a fairly large step down from your current setup, would be a more loose and floaty feel while still being stiff over bumps.
In another thread Sam said you get about 8/10th or 9/10ths the performance of the custom UMI/Strano coilovers with the strano/koni setup, as he used the Koni sports as a base line for valving, and both shocks work the same way (gas charged shock with adjustment that actually effects how oil flows through the piston).
Do you have aftermarket swaybars or not? If not that would definitely be the next step suspension wise to do for handling, they will make a big difference.
What *exactly* are you looking to change about the way the car drives now?
Have you tried adjusting the konis? Have you tried messing with the watts link roll center adjustment?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I have the STR.Ts. Ive never really taken a detailed look at them, so how would you adjust them? The car rides as about as good as it possibly can. Silly as it may seem I just want to close some of the fender gap on the front, but do it with something that is of equal or greater in performance to the Koni/Strano and then eventually do the rear. The car is basically just for open and curvy road driving*
Old 01-14-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the STR.Ts. Ive never really taken a detailed look at them, so how would you adjust them?
The str.ts are not adjustable, only the sports (koni single adjustables or double adjustables) are.
The car rides as about as good as it possibly can. Silly as it may seem I just want to close some of the fender gap on the front, but do it with something that is of equal or greater in performance to the Koni/Strano and then eventually do the rear. The car is basically just for open and curvy road driving*
Then if you are willing to spend the money the
Umi/strano custom coilovers may be for you.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm blunt. I think most folks know that. Here's what else. I carry all the above, and I'm the only one who does I think. I also, clearly, was involved heavily (I think maybe a bit more than the strano name in small print on the sticker would indicate) in the valving of the AFCO/UMI/Strano shocks (which is what I have on my car right now.

I have worked with Ridetech closely on shocks before, and with Britt too. In fact I've used their shocks on a Corvette I owned. And again, because it's what I do for setup work, I try a lot of stuff. I've driven F-bodies on all the shocks mentioned in this thread so far. Additionally C5 and C6's on a lot of other shocks, and it doesn't stop there by a long shot. Penske, MCS, JRZ, Ohlins, Koni, AST, Bilstein, KYB, Tokico, Monroe, Moton, JRi, and it goes on from there.

There is a lot to this stuff. A LOT.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: RideTech v/s Viking