Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel moves when applying brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel moves when applying brakes.

As the title states my rear passenger wheel moves when i press on the brakes.I was buttoning up an axle swap and had a little trouble tightening the caliper pins but eventually got them tight. Started the car up still on jack stands and the ABS INOP light came on, the brake pedal also goes all the way to the floor when depressed and the aforementioned wheel moving issue.
It moves inward in the direction of the caliper.
Got under the car and saw that the caliper itself is moving in the bracket even though the two bolts/pins were snugged up.They did creak while tightening them, could i have stripped something.
I didn't open up the system so could the fact that the caliper is moving be causing the soft pedal and abs inop light?

Also, the reason i swapped an axle was because i hit a curb and broke the wheel and bent the axle, but the car drove fine the 10 miles home after the incident.Brakes worked perfectly, no wobble or vibration and no dash lights.Car is a 2000 z28 M6 btw.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Pedal going to the floor suggests a leak or air in the ABS block. Air in the ABS block pretty much requires use of a Tech2 scanner while bleeding to purge the air.

Sounds like you stripped the caliper bracket.

You hit a curb hard enough to bend a wheel and bend the axle. Something else probably got screwed up too. Did you replace the entire rear end or just the axle? Did you double check rear suspension while you had it up?

Quick Reply: Wheel moves when applying brakes.