Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Please help diagnose popping noise while decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help diagnose popping noise while decelerating

Like the topic says, when I decelerate I usually hear a popping noise come from the front end. It usually happens when I hit my brakes, but not right when I mash the pedal. It happens when the momentum of car shifts forward which is why I am ruling out the brakes. Plus I checked all the caliper bracket bolts and everything looks nice and tight.

After searching the site I found a few posts of people complaining about similar symptoms. Some recomended new end-link bushings, so I went and inspected mine. However I haven't really ever worked with suspension components so I don't know what the bushings should like to be considered good. The end-link bushings are all still there, but there is some permanent deformation (compression). In other words I can see the end-link shaft between the bushings and the sway bar itself. I am thinking that this is my problem and the popping that I am hearing is the sway bar rotating and hitting the other bushing as the weight of the car shifts when I brake. Is this possible? Does the sway bar rotate as the car accelerates/decelerates? Also if I need new bushings can I just replace the bushings or do I need all new end-link assemblies? Any brand/type recomendations?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes if there are a lot of miles on the car, strut rod bushings move around a bit. Other than the obvious of sway bar parts that should be replaced, I have seen worn tie rod ends react like this sometimes and even wheel bearings in extreme cases. Don't know if this is common in f-bodies or not I'm just talking general items that should be replaced on high-mileage cars.

Quick Reply: Please help diagnose popping noise while decelerating