Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strange brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strange brake issue

whats up guys, i finally got my car up and running for the season and my new rear strange brakes get super hot very quickly. i have the sjm abs delete on the car with the factory booster. I put strange rear drag brakes on it but it gets super hot very quikcly. after a 10 min drive and maybe using the brakes once or twice my front rotors are about 150 degrees and the rears are 350-400? this is just driving, like 55 mph and slowing down slowly. BOTH rear calipers are hot. i have the brake valve all the way out as well for least. brakes. The fronts are factory style with hps pads. any info would be great, dyno is wednesday so im trying to figure this out asap! thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:41 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing I think can cause that issue is the pads are dragging as you're driving around.
I looked up strange rear brakes and it's a fixed caliper and I didn't see anyone using a parking brake, so my guess would be the piston isn't fully releasing when you let off the pedal.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justin455
The only thing I think can cause that issue is the pads are dragging as you're driving around.
I looked up strange rear brakes and it's a fixed caliper and I didn't see anyone using a parking brake, so my guess would be the piston isn't fully releasing when you let off the pedal.
Im an idiot, i found the issue. The directions were not too clear, i had the caliper on the wrong side with the bracket flipped. That being said there is a ring there and the seal pushed out into the recessed area about a 1/4 inch causing axle play. that axle play was riding the pads.....

so i flipped the bracket with the "Strange" wording outward and wala! no axle play and rotor centered with one shim.....sometimes you live and learn.

Quick Reply: strange brake issue