Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Review on UMI Strano Afco Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Review on UMI Strano Afco Coilovers

Last week I ordered the UMI/Strano front coilovers for my camaro from WS6Store. The box arrived only a few days later..and over the weekend I luckily had time to throw them in. I was extremely worried I was going to ruin the ride of my car since it's my daily driver. It took about 2 hours to do the right side and 2 hours to do the left side then a few more minutes to dial in the ride height. I set the shock's rebound to 20 clicks initially, right between fast and slow and 24.0" ride height from bottom of rim lip to fender edge then it was time for a test drive.

The 600lb-in springs worked excellent in keeping the car from bottoming out on any road transitions or long island road craters even lowered 1-1/4" down from where my car was sitting. This is the main reason I recently installed the Hooker Blackheart exhaust and BMR driveshaft loop to gain clearance before lowering my car. I'm still on the stock 32mm front sway bar but even so the car is nearly flat through the corners. This one specific turn I used to take at 40mph with the tires screaming front folding over the sidewall. Now I'm taking this turn at 45mph with the tires producing more of a growl from probably gaining some camber to keep the tire on its tread and the minimal body roll is much more confidence inspiring. The front end will now gently slide away when pushed too far but easily recoverable by lifting off the throttle. Before when front traction broke, I'd have to get on the brakes to get back on track.

On the rough parkway the ride is notably firmer over road imperfections at 70+mph but it is nothing I'd consider too harsh for daily driving. I'm very surprised how the ride is only marginally rougher even though spring rate was almost doubled all thanks to the high quality shocks and valving. Very pleased with my purchase.

The master cylinder must be removed to access the star bolts on the drivers side strut tower. Simply remove the two nuts and remove the master cylinder from the brake booster. This will not require you to bleed the brakes.

The upper a-arm support needs a little grinding on the lip of the center hole that thenew upper coilover mount will be attached to. Grind the lip down until the included washer spacer fits flush with the surface. Then place the larger washer above the hole and tighten the included bolt and nut to 55lbs-ft keeping the mount orientated in the correct direction.

If you are also going to keep your stock sway bar, I suggest buying a new 3/8 x 7" bolt and nut before starting to replace the stock end link hardware as they will almost always break when trying to remove the nut.

Last edited by camz28arro; 05-24-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm glad you are happy with the shock valving. I worked hard on that.

Don't forget that you can get these directly from Strano Performance Parts too. $1849, and that includes shipping too. The other perk is you can then get my help on setting them up for what you are doing since I'm the one who does the valving specification.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear they are working well. Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This package is the best thing I've done to my car. I like it much better than my previous car with Koni DA shocks and similar spring rates. It's worth every penny. For anyone who is considering this package and just isn't sure....do it. Trust me.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Just a reminder that on complete sets I offer free shipping and no charge changes to spring rates (if desired). And if you wish to run shorter main springs in front (there is room to do so) I can set you up with a helper setup to go with it.

Sets sold be Strano Performance Parts means the support I can offer to help with the setup, ride height, shocks settings and the like. I also differ a bit on some details, for instance I have an option to run additional packers (and I do on my car), and discuss how various spring rates might change with the use of different swaybars, rear Roll Center height, and even the tires in use.

Whether you get them from Strano Performance Parts, UMI, or another dealer you get the same basic parts, but like Koni's there is bits of knowledge and reasoning that only certain folks can offer.

I know I'm glad folks are enjoying the setup. I know we all worked hard on it, and continue to play around with things as time goes on.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Review on UMI Strano Afco Coilovers