Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Simple Lowering of my 1998 non-WS6 Trans Am.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Lowering of my 1998 non-WS6 Trans Am.

I just purchased a 1998 Trans Am (non WS6) a month ago. Previous owner took immaculate care of it. The stock 16 inch rims were flawless and tires were new last fall. Also last summer he installed new springs in front and back along with KYB shocks in back and Bilstein in front, and then had the GM garage go through the steering stuff and got a thumbs up on everything. The car rides and handles like brand new. He also did a Magnaflow system from the cat back and new speakers in the door and sail panels from Kee Audio. I then added a new double din Kenwood and new rear hatch speakers from Kee Audio.

I replaced the stock rims and tires with 18x9.5 Vision Torque rims and 275/35ZR18 Nexen Tires just to personalize it. It holds the road nice and still drives perfectly.

The only thing I want to change is the ride height. I'm considering the BMR lowering springs on the Summit Racing website. The sales guy said if everything else was gone through and new struts and shocks are already in place and I'm only driving it as a regular driver (not canyon carving, racing, etc...), I could easily get away with just the springs and then have a wheel alignment done again just in case. The BMR set would lower the front and back about an inch each, which I'm happy with.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...model/firebird

The car is just meant to be a fun weekend car. I hit the gas once in a while, but not near what I did 20+ years ago... Adulting doncha know.....

I do plan on a WS6 or WS9 hood down the road just for looks and would possibly add a little better sway bars down the road as well, but there is a budget the wife says....

Thoughts on JUST lowering Springs for now?
Old 06-07-2017, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on everything you've said you should be fine with the BMR springs. I run them with Koni STR.T's, and am very happy with them
Old 06-07-2017, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

There are a million threads on this. BMR springs are great, I'd buy em straight from BMR. Most people reeeaally tell you to go for the best shocks you can afford because it makes all of the difference in ride quality as well as handling. Lowering springs plus stock shocks = brick like ride. Can you do it with the shocks the previous owner has on there? Sure, it's not going to hurt anything. But you'll be much happier if you do the best shocks that you can afford as well. And since the the front spring setup has to come apart and out anyway...... Sam Strano or BMR can help you out. Give one of them a call. Both sponsors here and will steer you straight not just try and sell you ****. But please do not buy springs from Summit.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, give me a call and I will go over them with you and make sure they are right for your needs. I run them on my daily driver and my girlfriend's car and both ride great. I have the Koni Str.t's but her car is still on stock shocks. My car does ride much better IMO, so if shocks are int he budget, I would definitely opt for a set for the Str.t's. You will be into it total for about $530 for the full setup. You will be very pleased with the results

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shocks and struts were new at 105k last summer and the car has 113k on it now, so only 8k on them total. Plus he put on new stock springs at that time. I'm just lowering the ride a little to get rid of that obvious annoying gap from the top of the tires to the wheel well.

And my bad... the front struts are Koni and the back are KYB. I hat to go back and read the notes he gave me.

Quick Reply: Simple Lowering of my 1998 non-WS6 Trans Am.