Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Adjustable Torque Arm

Old 06-17-2017, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UMI Adjustable Torque Arm

Planning on purchasing a UMI Adjustable Torque Arm in a few weeks. I already have their two point SFCs, LCAs and panhard bar. I am I going to notice a difference in handling? Hate that crappy stock sheet metal one!!
Old 06-17-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by smooveZ
Planning on purchasing a UMI Adjustable Torque Arm in a few weeks. I already have their two point SFCs, LCAs and panhard bar. I am I going to notice a difference in handling? Hate that crappy stock sheet metal one!!
Handling? No. I have the exact one you are looking at as well as the above mods, none of which helped handling at all. If you want improved handling the best suspension mods are shocks, springs, swaybars and a watts link. So if you are strictly looking for a handling mod skip the torque arm and use that money for one of the above mods. If you are still on stock shocks then you are missing out big time.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Yes I still have the stock shocks and springs. I dont want to lower it. Maybe new shocks and UMI sway bar kit. What shocks should I use??
Old 06-17-2017, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I still have the stock shocks and springs. I dont want to lower it. Maybe new shocks and UMI sway bar kit. What shocks should I use??
Yeah you basically have nothing for handling then.
Depends on budget but Id suggest Koni sports for a massive handling/feel/stability increase. Either that or UMI/Strano Afco coilovers and adjust them to stock height. That way you get the benefit of good shocks and higher rate springs but are still at your stock height you wanted.
That and either UMI or strano (lighter than UMIs) swaybars.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Yeah you basically have nothing for handling then.
Depends on budget but Id suggest Koni sports for a massive handling/feel/stability increase. Either that or UMI/Strano Afco coilovers and adjust them to stock height. That way you get the benefit of good shocks and higher rate springs but are still at your stock height you wanted.
That and either UMI or strano (lighter than UMIs) swaybars.
I will check into the Koni sports. Going to check Summit Racing. Wouldn't happen to have a part number for the Koni's?? Thanks JD
Old 06-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have konis and they really improved my handling. I got the adjustable ones pricey but worth it. Check out the ws6 store they was alittle cheaper than summit but then summit will price match them
Old 06-18-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will check into the Koni sports. Going to check Summit Racing. Wouldn't happen to have a part number for the Koni's?? Thanks JD
Don't bother with summit.
Support one of the sponsors here like Stranoparts.com - he can give you detailed setup for them and anything you could possibly ask for.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Support one of the sponsors here like Stranoparts.com - he can give you detailed setup for them and anything you could possibly ask for.
when I was buying most of my parts, Strano was my first stop. Springs, sway bars, koni s/a, and jeep poly bumpstops all came from him. Most everything else was from UMI.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Ok Strano parts it is!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

I just looked on Strano, no way am I going to pay $800 to $900.00 bones for 4 shocks. Seen some on ebay for lots cheaper.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can get the Koni STR.T for under $400. I think I paid around $320 if i remember right
Old 06-18-2017, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just looked on Strano, no way am I going to pay $800 to $900.00 bones for 4 shocks. Seen some on ebay for lots cheaper.
Thats what the sports cost, you won't find them cheaper anywhere else. This is pretty standard for good performance shocks, and a good deal for something that will totally transform the car.
If for whatever reason you want cheaper shocks then you can look at either koni STR.Ts or bilstiens, but neither can hold a candle to what the sports do for your handing and feel, best mod Ive done to the car by far.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Bilstein hd shocks if your on a budget. Strano springs and sways bars. Good suspension costs money. You wont do it for cheap and have good results thats for sure.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Thats what the sports cost, you won't find them cheaper anywhere else. This is pretty standard for good performance shocks, and a good deal for something that will totally transform the car.
If for whatever reason you want cheaper shocks then you can look at either koni STR.Ts or bilstiens, but neither can hold a candle to what the sports do for your handing and feel, best mod Ive done to the car by far.
I will check around. Sounds like the Koni STRT or the Bilstiens are more in my price range. They came stock on my 03 Sonoma.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will check around. Sounds like the Koni STRT or the Bilstiens are more in my price range. They came stock on my 03 Sonoma.
Bilstiens were also a factory option on these cars and if you chose the 1le handling package you could get koni double adjustables from the factory, the sports are the single adjustable versions.
If you plan on keeping the car for a long time and really want a good handling setup i suggest you step up and buy the koni sports. Otherwise the other cheaper options are still ok but are closer to a stock-like replacement (still way better than the stock decarbon shocks though).
Old 06-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for considering UMI.

The torque arm will help driveline response and, if you use a relocation bracket, will prevent transmission breakage.

ramey
Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Bilstiens were also a factory option on these cars and if you chose the 1le handling package you could get koni double adjustables from the factory, the sports are the single adjustable versions.
If you plan on keeping the car for a long time and really want a good handling setup i suggest you step up and buy the koni sports. Otherwise the other cheaper options are still ok but are closer to a stock-like replacement (still way better than the stock decarbon shocks though).
Thanks for your help JD and happy Fathers Day!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
Thanks for considering UMI.

The torque arm will help driveline response and, if you use a relocation bracket, will prevent transmission breakage.

ramey
Transmission breakage?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're just using the car on the street, yes the yellows will be tremendous and transform the car. The oranges however are a bargain and at the a fraction of the price will indeed be noticeable change as well.

Yes, support the vendors if you can. Sam does have great insight about products and competitive pricing listed on his site, just make sure to inquire about the shipping prior the order as well.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The torque arm is attached to a bracket on the trans. It is possible to break this since the trans case is cast AL. Mine is still on the trans and it has taken a great deal of abuse. I usually fix things after they break

The torque arm won't make a difference in turning, but if you considering going "handling" it will. Poly trans mount and torque arm make a big difference in shift feel and the rear is much more planted and you can adjust the pinion angle.

Ramey and UMI have been great for me to work with.

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UMI Adjustable Torque Arm