Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

02 Camaro Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 Camaro Power Steering Leak

So the full story, it's an 02 Camaro SS with 125k miles on it. A few months ago I started replacing the steering setup. I put a new pump and a remanufactured rack and pinion on. Everything was great and felt like new. I periodically checked for leaks and all was good, until a few days ago I noticed a small puddle in the garage. The only wet place I see is the dust cap near the bottom of the pinion shaft. Is this a sign of a problem such as bad seals or does the dust cap need to be seated and sealed better. The reason i'm asking that is when I took the dust cap off the old one, it was filled with fluid but it was a tight enough seal that it didn't leak.

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails 02 Camaro Power Steering Leak-img_1735.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Moving to Suspension and Brakes
Old 07-05-2017, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yeary03SS
So the full story, it's an 02 Camaro SS with 125k miles on it. A few months ago I started replacing the steering setup. I put a new pump and a remanufactured rack and pinion on. Everything was great and felt like new. I periodically checked for leaks and all was good, until a few days ago I noticed a small puddle in the garage. The only wet place I see is the dust cap near the bottom of the pinion shaft. Is this a sign of a problem such as bad seals or does the dust cap need to be seated and sealed better. The reason i'm asking that is when I took the dust cap off the old one, it was filled with fluid but it was a tight enough seal that it didn't leak.

Kyle
Kyle,

The fluid in that cap means that the rack is leaking internally. The only way to fix that is to have the rack rebuilt. We can rebuild your rack and pinion starting at $250. Visit our website for more information https://www.turnone-steering.com/pag...lding-services.

Thank you,
Junior
Old 07-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Junior,

I'm familiar with your company and that's the path i'm leaning now. I have your pulley on the pump. I guess my concern now is if there is some other underlying issue with my car or did I just get a turd of a rebuilt rack and pinion unit. It is an AC Delco unit and the leak has developed with less than 1,000 miles on it. Am I overheating the fluid somehow and damaging the seals? I did eliminate the heat exchanger type cooler from the upper radiator hose and installed a more conventional finned single pass cooler. Where I have it located, it probably doesn't get much airflow from driving speed, but it does get airflow from the fans. I don't want to spend the money for a rebuild just to have the same problem again. What do you think?

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails 02 Camaro Power Steering Leak-img_1769.jpg  
Old 07-06-2017, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Junior,

I'm familiar with your company and that's the path i'm leaning now. I have your pulley on the pump. I guess my concern now is if there is some other underlying issue with my car or did I just get a turd of a rebuilt rack and pinion unit. It is an AC Delco unit and the leak has developed with less than 1,000 miles on it. Am I overheating the fluid somehow and damaging the seals? I did eliminate the heat exchanger type cooler from the upper radiator hose and installed a more conventional finned single pass cooler. Where I have it located, it probably doesn't get much airflow from driving speed, but it does get airflow from the fans. I don't want to spend the money for a rebuild just to have the same problem again. What do you think?

Kyle
Kyle,

There could be two potential issues going on. One, the rebuild you have could be a poor rebuilt. We do see this a lot with remans. The quality is usually very poor. The second possibility, depending on what you are doing with the vehicle you could be overheating the system, damaging the seals in the rack. All of heat in the system is created by the pump. The fluid temperature should be at or below 275*F measured at the reservoir. If you are tracking the car, you may want to consider having us rebuild and upgrade your existing pump or purchasing one of our new pumps. Our new pumps are designed to reduce hp consumption and reduce fluid temperature. If you have us rebuild and upgrade your existing pump, we can provide the same specs.

Thanks,
Junior
Old 07-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Launching!

It's my daily driver. I drive around 90 miles a day, mostly interstate/freeway, so nothing strenuous on the steering at all. I would lean towards the poor quality rebuilt unit, which is sad because I always though AC Delco was pretty reputable. So when sending this out to you, do I leave the inner and outer tie rods on (i'm hoping not to have to get this aligned again)?

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

It's my daily driver. I drive around 90 miles a day, mostly interstate/freeway, so nothing strenuous on the steering at all. I would lean towards the poor quality rebuilt unit, which is sad because I always though AC Delco was pretty reputable. So when sending this out to you, do I leave the inner and outer tie rods on (i'm hoping not to have to get this aligned again)?

Thanks,

Kyle
Kyle,

You can leave the inner and outer tie rods on the rack when you send it in. However, you will still need to have it realigned once you get the rack back and reinstalled in the vehicle. When you do send it in, please include the rebuild form that is available on our website under the rebuilding services page.

Thanks,
Junior

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro Power Steering Leak